Stephanie Alexandria: Singer, Songwriter, Bio Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Age: 22

Program: Honours Specialization in Biology and Minor in Microbiology/Immunology

Hometown: London, Ontario

Our profile this week is singer Stephanie Alexandria!  Aside from being a fourth-year science student at Western, she happens to be a singer, songwriter and recording artist!  How does she do it all? We have no idea, but what we do know is that this girl is definitely going places!  Check out her interview below to find out all about her musical journey so far!

Tell us a little bit about yourself!

I’m a 22-year-old who loves life to the fullest, dogs and food… because who doesn’t love food! I’m a student at Western University and I’m in my 4th year now and am specializing in biology and microbiology/immunology. Besides being a student, I’m also a singer/songwriter/recording artist. So far, I’ve recorded one album called “Love Testifies,” and am now working on a second one!

Who inspired you to start singing?  When did you start?

When I was young, I used to love watching Canadian and American Idol, and was so interested in the idea of singing. After watching these shows, I was inspired and wanted to compete in a singing competition so badly that my mom and dad signed me up for vocal lessons. My vocal teacher entered me into the Youth Talent Contest (now called Rise 2 Fame) when I was 12 years old. Every year I would compete in that contest, and my interest in singing would grow and grow. My passion for singing became very serious when I competed in “The Singing Contest” led by John and Lisa Santos, where I met former Canadian Idol Judge Zack Werner (he was a judge for the contest I was competing in). He saw a lot of potential in my singing, and he took me under his wing and guided and mentored me in the recording of my very first album “Love Testifies.” So I can definitely say that I really started taking singing seriously when I started recording my first album.

Can you tell us about your most memorable performance?

My most memorable performance was when I competed in the “Rise 2 Fame” contest here in London, Ontario (I’ve been competing in this contest since I was 12!), and after my performance, a woman came up to me, and told me that my performance had inspired her to start singing again, and that she was so thankful for bringing the passion back into her. It felt amazing! At that point it didn’t matter if I won the contest or not, I was mostly happy that I was able to help someone through music, something that I truly love.

Do you have any rituals you do before you’re about to perform? (How do you handle nerves before a performance?)

Because I’ve been performing for so long, I’m typically not nervous to get on a stage and sing anymore. However, when I was just starting out, of course, I had a bit of stage fright! My typical ritual or tradition before singing is to hum to myself very quietly, to keep my voice warm, and to give myself a little bit of pep talk, consisting of things like “you can do it!” and “you’ve worked so hard, now show them what you’ve got!”

What’s the one moment in your musical career that you’re most proud of?

I’m definitely most proud of organizing and holding my first ever album release concert for the “Love Testifies” album. It was held in the Cellar Lounge at the London Music Club, and it was literally packed to the walls! It felt really good to see so many people come out and support me!

What’s your most embarrassing moment?  Have you been able to laugh it off now?

I was driving to Toronto for a gig at the Royal York Hotel a couple years back, and the traffic from London was SO bad (it always is), and I was already running late. When I finally got near the hotel, I parked the car anywhere I could find, and I started running, with everything in hand, heels, clothes, everything! When I finally got to the room where the gig was held, I literally chucked everything I had in my hands (besides my heels which I very ungracefully put on my feet), and ran into the room. The band saw me running in, and they started playing my music. I then ran up the stairs, only to completely face plant when I was running up, but I got to that microphone before the first note of my song started. It turned out to be a great show! Besides my toes being crammed in my heels throughout the whole show. Of course back then, it was as embarrassing as can be, not only being late for the show, but also face planting in front of a pretty sizeable crowd. But now, it’s a really good story to tell, and even as I’m writing this I’m giggling. So I’m definitely able to laugh it off!

How do you balance your music with other obligations?  You’re a full-time student!

I’ve been balancing music with school, and other obligations for a very long time now, so it’s basically become a normal thing in my life. But that doesn’t make it any less easy. Every week I make myself a pretty specific schedule, which includes what I have to get done for school (lectures, assignments, exams), and what has to be done with music (practicing, writing songs, social media, gigs), and of course I have to put some time in to relax, because every once in awhile, we need a little bit of a breather! I try to follow this schedule to the best of my ability. A lot of people ask me how I do it, and I always say to them “I just do it.” Music makes me happy and school makes me happy, and I honestly wouldn’t have it any other way. I’m not the type of person to sit still and not have anything to do. I would most likely go stir crazy if I didn’t have such a busy life!

In fact, I made a vlog about how I juggle school and music! Here’s the link!

What are you working on right now with your music?

I’m currently working on my second album with a record label called DEG Records and I’m being managed by R&R Management Group and International Dynasty, all which are companies situated in Los Angeles. I am fortunate enough to have a team that is graced by many relatives of legends such as Whitney Houston, Smokey Robinson, and Dionne Warwick. I’m constantly writing songs towards the new album, and practicing them with Rheasmaine, who is my music producer and mentor (you may have seen me mention his name in my Facebook posts, and my vlogs!). I’ve recorded two songs so far towards the new album, and in the next couple of months, I’ll be recording five or six more songs, which is so exciting! We are also constantly working on creating my new brand, and planning shows for the upcoming year!

What’s a typical day like for you?

My typical day consists of getting up in the morning, and crying because I don’t want to get up (just kidding… okay maybe not), taking the dog out, eating an attempt at breakfast, driving to the bus stop, taking the bus to school, going to lectures, coming home, eating, studying, working on my music, eating, writing songs, eating, eating, studying more, and then going to bed.

Is there anything you would like to do more of in the future?

I love to travel. I think that’s what I would love to do more of in the future. Visit places that have been on my bucket list for years! Places like Florence and Aruba.

Do you have a go-to karaoke song?

“You Give Love a Bad Name” by Bon Jovi!

What are the top five most played songs on your iPod/iPhone right now?

1. “Holding Onto You” by Twenty One Pilots

2. “Ashes of Eden” by Breaking Benjamin

3. “Starboy” by The Weeknd

4. “Heathens” by Twenty One Pilots

5.  “Ride” by Twenty One Pilots

Is there a certain singer/performer who inspired you the most?

I love Twenty One Pilots. Although they’re nowhere near the genre I sing, I love how original and daring they are with their music. I also love that they focus a lot on lyrics in their songs, not just the beat and overall sound. Every one of their songs that you listen to has a deep message, that someone could relate to. That’s what I want to do with my music. I want to inspire people.

Do you have any mottos you live by?

My favourite motto that I go by is “All things are possible if we only believe.” In fact I have a plaque with that quote hanging in my room. In tough times, whether it’s school, music, or life in general, I always look over to the words on my wall, and I carry on. Besides, my first single that I ever released was a song called “Believe,”  and the lyrics consisted of “If you believe, we can do anything we want to!”

Anything else you’d like to add?

I just wanted to add that when I was recording my “Love Testifies” album, I went under the artist name of WoJo, but now since so many things have changed with my style of music and my new look, we also decided to change my artist name to Stephanie Alexandria. You’ll notice that the music on all of my social media sites, like Reverbnation and SoundCloud, are from the first album. The new music that I’m working on right now will be up when it’s ready of course! With creating songs comes hard work, writing and rewriting, tearing everything apart and putting it all back together! So you will hear my new music soon, it’s just a work in progress that’s building up to spread its wings and fly as high as possible!

FAVOURITES

Album: Blurryface by Twenty One Pilots

Actor:  Ben Affleck (especially in “The Accountant!”)

Food: Chicken wings

Article of Clothing: My Western sweater of course! It’s so comfy and warm!

Course: Animal Behaviour with Graham Thompson (Bio 3436)

Check out Stephanie Alexandria’s music down below!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/StephanieAMusic/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/stephalex_music

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/steph.a.music/

Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/stephaniealexandria

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/stephaniealexandria

Official Website: http://www.stephaniealexandria.com

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/stephaniealexandria

Hey, I'm Elisa: 4th year Western Mustang and ardent movie nerd.  I love The Legend of Zelda, Star Wars and Wes Anderson.  I'm currently on a Doctor Who binge, been told that I'm quite good at Super Smash Bros, and have a deep connection with Tina Belcher from Bob's Burgers.
Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.