rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Spoke vs Mental Health Resources

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

This September, The Spoke & Rim Tavern re-opened after undergoing four months of $1 million renovations, leaving Western students confused as to why money was being invested in a restaurant rather than to the dire need of mental health resources.

Provided by The Spoke & Rim Tavern

According to Jeff Armour, the University Students’ Council chief operating officer, the purpose of the renovations was to shrink waiting lines for small food items and coffee.

The Spoke budget included for $500,000 on a kitchen expansion and overall upgrades of appliances.

According to the Western Gazette, Mark Leonard, senior manager of Hospitality Services, claimed the renovations would allow for more space between customers waiting in line and those sitting at tables.

Although the restaurant’s renovations were student-oriented, some students question Western’s choice to invest in the Spoke rather than its Mental Health and Wellness Centre, considering the tragic student losses that have occurred in the last two years.

Haley Brooks, a third year Sociology and Criminology major at Western University, has repeatedly attempted to make counselling appointments at Western’s Mental Health and Wellness Centre in an effort to balance school along with her depression and anxiety disorder.

“As someone who pays for everything, including tuition and rent, without my parents being able to assist me and especially without health insurance outside of the school – I can’t afford to access the proper resources to aid with my depression or anxiety disorder,” said Brooks.

Brooks supports campus building renovations and additions, but surmises that a $1 million budget for a restaurant revamp is far too high.

The University Students’ Council Summer 2017 Renovation Status Update reports that the renovations budget was increased by an additional $135,000.

“While The Spoke employs many students and hosts many of the events on campus – it’s nothing more than yet another cash cow for Western. The upgrades made were certainly not worth $1 million – especially considering they went $135,000 over budget on the project,” says Brooks.

According to Western’s 2017-2018 Ancillary Fee Schedule, $50.77 of student’s tuition goes into Student Health Services.

On November 30th, 2016, the University Students’ Council held a meeting in Council Chambers in the University Community Centre. The fourth motion brought into question focused on student support and improvements.

Solutions for students and mental health are left open ended as the executive report, completed by the Council members on November 30th, 2016, wrote, “Still figuring out how best to garner mass feedback on this plan. May host USC-run consultations in January.”

“It’s sad that student generated funds from events like Phi Gamma Delta’s Campout for Mental Health and the annual Charity Ball are some of the only funds for counselling and other mental health support on campus,” said Brooks.

Western’s Mental Health and Wellness office is located in the University Community Centre in room 11. Open on Monday to Thursday from 9 a.m to 7 p.m and Friday from 9 a.m to 4:30 p.m.