This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

nh5X79OfdmGbI65s5gY

Photo By ShutterStock

As the weather begins to cool down and winter quickly approaches, there is nothing like a cozy movie night with your friends, significant other, family or even just by yourself. I think the majority will agree that the hardest part of any movie night, whether you’re alone or with someone, is choosing which movie to actually watch.  Sit back with a glass of wine or hot cup of cocoa and watch one of these seven movies that will comfort you as you cozy up in your own home. These movies offer warmth and excitement with romance, adventure, and nostalgia, perfect for a chilly night that will leave you feeling at ease. 

Twilight

This nostalgic romance movie is perfect for a chilly night. The cheesy acting mixed with the adorable love story is a great choice when you want to feel warm and fuzzy. The somber settings make for a great choice when you want to feel cozy, while also bringing you back to your tween years, cringing along the way.

The Harry Potter Series

This classic series will definitely make you feel cozy and nostalgic. With elements of witchery, magic, and charming characters that are bound to make you keep watching, The Harry Potter series is always a crowd pleaser to create the perfect comfy movie night in. 

The Breakfast Club

Although made before the Gen Z time period, this cult classic is certain to make you feel good. The movie is set in high school, provoking a sense of sentiment for all. The elements of romance in this film engage with conflict and resolution in a way that keeps you on your toes, with a famous ending everyone knows and loves.

Clueless

For all the fashion-loving people out there, this movie is bound to make you want to shop. Another coming-of-age movie set in high school, Clueless will definitely take you back and make you reminisce about those nerve-racking and fun times. 

10 Things I Hate About You

There is something so entertaining about high school in the 90s. With nostalgic fashion and hair, all the characters in this movie kill it. If you love 90s fashion like me, you will love the outfits in this movie. The low-rise pants and slip dresses will inspire you and make you want to thrift. The romantic aspects of this movie are made more appealing with drool-worthy actors like Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles. 

Pride and Prejudice

This movie, inspired by the novel written by Jane Austen, is a romance story of a century. The characters Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy have an undeniable bond that you could only hope for. To add, the 1800s inspired corsets and ball gowns are beautiful. It is always nice to get a glimpse into the history of romance. 

Little Women

The movie Little Women is perfect for when you need a good cry and to just let it all out. This movie has romance, conflict, resolution, and lovable characters that will keep you wanting more. You really get to know each character in this movie, which makes for a comforting watch because the main character, Jo, is extremely relatable as a young woman. Jo is a feminist of her time, trying to prove women are capable of more than getting married, an idea feminist today still try to prove.

Everyone knows that when winter approaches, life becomes a little bit dreary. Movies are a great way to cozy up inside when the weather gets too cold. The movies I’ve listed above are the perfect way to feel good while staying indoors. On any occasion, these seven movie options will be great for watching with friends, family or even alone. At the end of the day, we all need cheering up around this time of the year. Falling in love with fictional stories and characters while cozying up inside can help achieve just the cheering up you’re looking for.  

Ailie Crosbie

Western '25

Ailie is in third year of honours specialization in Media, Information and Techno culture with a minor in Gender Studies at The University of Western Ontario. In her free time she loves to watch TV shows and movies, workout and hangout with close friends.