books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Roommate Horror Stories

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Everyone has either had a roommate from hell or heard horror roommate stories. For your enjoyment, here are some of the best roommate horror stories compiled together. These stories are too funny, they had to be shared–definitely worth the read. Due to confidentiality reasons, all stories remain anonymous.

1. 

“We have had some bad experiences with male roommates in the past— we thought they would balance out our household, but instead they turned everything upside down.. Literally. The guys always used to throw parties and the morning after one of their outrageous parties, we woke up to find gum jammed in the toaster, a knife stabbed in the ceiling, mud footprints throughout the house, our window mesh in a bush outside and our couch upside down.” 

2.

“We decided to give a male roommate a chance, what could be the harm right? Wrong. We hated him and did not get along at all. We had to tell him to move out. He was so upset that the morning of his departure he turned on the TV, music, and even the blender on full blast, then just left the house. He did this at 6am. Then he returned to continue his anarchy and cranked up the heat in the house to as high as it could go to the point the walls were hot. He finished up by leaving us a giant sh*t in the toilet.” 

3.

“My roommate used to film herself having sex and then make me watch it. She would also ask my advice on what nudes she should send by showing me the options.” 

4.

“We had this one very quiet roommate, she would never really talk to us. She would spend most of her time skyping her boyfriend who lived in a different province. One night, as we were watching movies, we paused the movie to get a snack refill. Our now not-so quiet roommate was in the next room having skype-sex with her boyfriend. She began moaning and asking to be spanked like the naughty kitten she was—she even started meowing!” 

5.

“My roommate had a designated ‘KD Pot.’ She made KD in the pot and she ate out of it, but she would never wash it. Then she would continue the cycle without ever washing the pot.” 

6.

“In first year I lived in an apartment style residence with four other girls. We were all so different and there was a lot of drama—our life was like a sitcom. One of our roommates was always obsessed with her computer, especially with writing blog entries. Turns out she had been blogging about my roommates and I for the whole year! She even assigned us code names. We never confronted her about it but from there on out, whenever something wild would happen, we would consult the blog to see if it made it.” 

7.

“My roommate would bring home guys and start having sex with them while I was in the same room studying.”

8.

“One of my flat mates in first year was so messy, you couldn’t even see her floor in her room because it was covered in clothes and garbage. She also would bring home guys from the bar almost every night and would be as loud as she wanted to without a care. One of her one-night-stands broke her mirror because he couldn’t see it under all the mess. Worst of all, she would borrow all my stuff without asking, and one time when I went to go retrieve my charger she had ‘borrowed,’ I found it on the floor right next to a used condom.” 

9.

“My roommate was never very clean and our place was always a mess because of her, especially the kitchen. Our cleaner who we hired refused to clean the kitchen due to the overwhelming amount of dirty dishes beside the sink. So, one week she got fed up and moved her dirty plates into her room instead of washing them!”

10.

“We had one roommate who would eat every single jar of Nutella she found in the house, even though it wasn’t hers, and would then cry about it when we confronted her.” 

11.

“My roommate and her boyfriend were getting their freak on in our room when she came out to find me and ask me a favour. Because it was obviously pitch black in the room she had asked me if I could switch places with her and ‘get the job done.’ She said she didn’t know what she was doing and was afraid of being bad. I tried coaching her, but she insisted that it was so dark he wouldn’t even know the difference. After a lot of debating, I felt bad and went in. Her boyfriend started dirty talking to me and I couldn’t stop laughing, I couldn’t do it and ran out. Still to this day he doesn’t know we switched places.” 

12.

“I had a super controlling roommate. She was always so protective of me, especially when I got a boyfriend. When he slept over for the first time she decided to ask me about it in the public cafeteria with tons of students around us. She yelled, ‘So I heard you guys f*ck yesterday, did you use protection?’ I was mortified, but then it got worse. She asked me if I used protection because she searched through my garbage the following day and couldn’t find any condom wrappers.” 

My name is Giulia, it's pronounced just like Julia only its spelt with a G! Anyone who knows me well knows I love my cat and my apartment will always be stocked with wine. I like to think of myself as a self-proclaimed makeup artist considering I spend hours on end studying from the makeup school of Youtube. I'm also a strong believer that animals are our friends, not food!
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.