“Riverdale:” Your New Obsession

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Everyone loves finding that one TV show that catches their attention right from the beginning and makes them wait in excitement for the next episode. “Riverdale” by The CW channel is a new show based on the ever-so-famous Archie Comics. Every Friday a new episode comes out on Netflix, so it’s the perfect time to snuggle up in bed and really submerge yourself in the drama!

Don’t be fooled: even though the characters in the show are based on the names and personalities from the Archie Comics (that I loved growing up), the storyline is far from anything rainbows and sunshine. The cinematography of the show is very dark and mysterious as the expected drama between girlfriends takes place, but in a more twisted way. Riverdale has it all… murders, lies, hidden secrets and much more to fuel all your drama needs.

But most importantly, this show also checks off the relatability factor as the show tackles adolescent struggles like broken hearts, identity searching, friendship drama, high school problems and much, much more. The best part of this show is that the famous catty rivalry between Betty Cooper and Veronica Lodge is non-existent (at the moment at least), as it almost seems as though they don’t see the value in diluted competition and more in lifting each other up to actually become better friends in the end. That is something that a lot of young women need to see in television shows: portraying female friendships in a positive light. This in turn shows viewers that it’s cool to encourage and support other women and to ignore the other things that may try and hinder the relationship.  

This show has expanded much more on the iconic characters from the  Archie Comics, making them multi-dimensional, not predictable, but interesting to watch as the show progresses. The show just fits so perfectly with the current lifestyle of adolescents and young adults right now: searching to find who you are and be able to learn from the mistakes that you make along the way. Don’t worry, no more spoilers, but honestly watch it because it’s so not what you’re expecting.

Check out the trailer here— you won’t regret it.

Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.