Pretty in Peplum

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Since making its debut on the S/S ’12 catwalk, the peplum trend has grown in popularity and established itself as a must-have trend for this season. Cinching in at the waist and flaring out at the hips, this trend flatters any shape and size – those with a petite or rectangular body type will benefit from the illusion of curves whilst those with an hourglass figure will benefit from a more defined waist.

Peplum options are everywhere and different styles pop up every month – from skirts, dresses, tops to jackets, the possibilities are endless. To keep this trend fresh and exciting, try wearing peplum in some of the other 2013 trends. Add some edge to your outfit with a leather peplum skirt; go chic with a printed peplum top or trendy with a peplum dress in different textures and fabrics.

With exciting options and the guarantee of flattering any body type, peplum is a trend everyone should give into this season. Don’t be afraid to play with textures and prints and make this trend your own. 

Rida is a fourth year student at the University of Western Ontario and is extremely excited about the opportunity to bring Her Campus to London! She recently changed her major from Finance to English Literature after finally realizing what she wanted to do with her life. Having spent her whole life in the Middle East (Dubai and Saudi Arabia) Rida had no choice but to grow up a shopaholic! Having shifted from the desert to the great ice box that is Canada, she still finds it difficult to adjust to the freezing weather. In her spare time, Rida likes reading, watching way too many shows, stuffed crust pizza and,of course, shopping! Her aspirations are to one day live in Paris and be a writer for Vogue.