Packing Tips For Students Moving Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Moving home after another year away at school is no easy task…. Not only do you have to get used to: living with your parents again, having to report to them, not having your own place, not living with your friends… BUT you also have actually get all your stuff from POINT A (school housing) to POINT B (parents house).

That’s why we’ve put together 5 easy tips on how to make this move A LOT smoother… trust us, you’ll need all the help you can get. 

1. You’re going to need a tool box.  This is a super handy investment for ANYONE – it’ll also make taking apart all that IKEA furniture you built a lot easier… not to mention you never know when you’ll need a hammer or a screw-driver… trust me, crazy and unexpected things happen when you move. 

2. You’re going to need ziploc bags.  These are CRUCIAL for remembering what screws go with what! Make sure to seal and label all your bags – and don’t lose them! You can also use these for loose earrings, jewellery, paper clips, and even hair products – so they don’t spill everywhere during the move!

3. You’re going to need garbage bags. Ok… hear me out. Not only will you have a ton of stuff that you can just throw out (old assignments, garbage, etc..) but bagging your bed duvet, pillows, and even your bulky sweaters, will help you out a lot! These are things that don’t need to be folded (and they’re awkward to carry) – so just throw them in and deal with them when you get to POINT B. Just dont confuse your clothing/bed bags with your garbage bags… be careful what you throw out. 

4. When packing up your clothes – roll them, don’t fold them. Yes! Roll! Check the picture below for reference. 

5. Pack over a few days – not all at once! Packing all at once can be SUPER overwhelming, so just do a little bit at a time… then when the day comes – you’ll be stress free and ready to go!

Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.