An Open Letter To Anyone Who Has Ever Been There For A Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

It’s exam season which means everyone’s stressed, and unfortunately, mental illness becomes a factor several people’s lives. We feel pressured to do well which results in countless hours spent in the library, then we get no sleep, and no time for our brain to rest. Emotions are running high and stress just seems to take over your life. 

Unfortunately, I know this situation better than I would like. I always thought having a mental illness made me different from everyone else, especially when it came to exam season. Simple everyday tasks and studying were more difficult, social settings made me cringe, and worst of all I thought I was alone. But as some time went by I realized I was completely wrong. 

Having a mental illness doesn’t mean I’m sick, but rather gives me the capacity to appreciate my uniqueness, use it to help me be a better person, and best of all I have the ability to surround myself with people who want to help me and be a true friend. When it comes down to it, I am no different than any other student experiencing University, and I am the farthest thing from alone. 

I’ve had my ups and downs, and happily on an on going up, but I could have never made it here without the positive people I’m my life. I used to think I could never make good friends, but once I accepted myself for me, social setting began to be a little more exciting and I discovered I love meeting new people. 

And I’m not the only way who feels this way. The people in your life are the ones who help you through hard times, and essentially they become the reason you want to get through the hard times. Friends and family make an extra impact on people who need mental support. And most of the time, our friends and family, are just being friends and family, but for someone who is struggling with a mental illness or stress posses an extra appreciation for the support.

Everyone’s Different: Where Do You Fit In? 

Being in University doesn’t just force you to be independent but it gives you the opportunity to find yourself and discover your true character. University consists of several different people who all posses different qualities and characteristics, making campus basically one huge mixing pot. 

Whether or not you want to meet new people, the reality is you’re going to. Some people you may not get along with, where others make you feel at home, and eventually you find your niche and a true supportive friend group. You find the people you feel most comfortable with who you feel you’ve known your entire life. 

You create a family, a support group who you know will always have your back. Your roommates, your close friends, teammates, Sophs, etc. are all people you know are going to be there. Not only are they going through the exact same life style and changes you are, but mentally, they understand the stress. And, even though people don’t admit it, a lot of those people may also be struggling with a mental illness. All it takes is a simple text, phone call, Facebook message, conversation with one of these people to know you’re not alone and there’s someone there who wants you to be okay. 

People Will Impact Your Life, Whether Or Not You’re Aware Of It 

The people you surround yourself with will always make an impact on your life. The people you let into your life will come an go, but in University you meet the people who you won’t want to go. You create a close knit group of friends who you know will help you through anything. 

Personally, I’ve found I haven’t only just met amazing people, but I now have my family away from home, who most of the time, does make me feel at home. I don’t get home sick as often, and when I do go back to my home town, I find myself missing my friends back at school. 

It’s weird to think you no longer feel completely at home when you’re with you family in your childhood house but also comforting knowing now your family has grown. You’re able to feel comfortable at school, a place that seemed so scary in first year but now you can’t imagine leaving. 

People Who Have Your Best Interest In Mind 

University has surrounds me with so many amazing people who truly have my best interest in mind. Believe it or not, there are people out there, other than you parents, who want the best for you. They care about you and will put your needs before theirs. 

Friends are willing to put their lives aside to help you, the first step is feeling comfortable with asking your friends. When you no longer feel uneasy or guilty asking one of your friends for help, that’s how you know you truly trust them. 

Thank You 

Everyday I strive to be half as great as the people in my life, because I know without them I wouldn’t be where I am today. It important to know we are never alone in these stressful times, there is always someone who wants to help you get through your tough time, and is able to relate to you. 

So I guess the whole point of this is to say thanks. Whether or not you know it, you have most likely impacted someone’s life and helped them in some way, shape, or form. Sometimes people forget to say thank you and you feel your actions go unnoticed, but people are always aware of positive gestures whether or not they acknowledge them.

Always remember you’re loved. There is someone out there who appreciates you. Whether it’s been a simple hello or a nice compliment, you’ve probably already brightened someone’s day. No matter how stressed you may be, it’s not the end of the world. There will be better days and happier moments. 

So, from all your friends, family, roommates, teammates, classmates, I thank you from the bottom of my heart, for just being you. 

If Lizzie McGuire were to write on your year book right now she’d probably write “You rock, don’t ever change.”

Also, may the bell curve be ever in your favour this exam season.

Fourth year English student at Western University who's just trying to find her way in this crazy world
Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.