Ontario To Pass Law Banning Protests Outside Abortion Clinics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Ontario legislature will pass a new bill banning people from protesting abortion anywhere from 50 to 150 metres outside of abortion clinics.

Photo from TIME Magazine

Bill 163 is a method to protect women from physical or emotional distress when obtaining pregnancy-related health services. The 150 metre boundary will also apply to the homes of abortion doctors, while pharmacies selling birth control can register for the policy.

Attorney General Yasir Naqvi worked alongside three of the Ontario parties to pass the bill quickly as the amount of women being harassed outside abortion clinics has increased. According to the Huffington Post, Ottawa has high amounts of protesters as the Morgentaler Clinic’s staff have reported countless issues with women being unable to enter or safely leave the building.  

“With the same speed we have worked on this bill, we are working on those regulations and I’m hopeful we will get them completed sooner rather than later,” said Naqvi.

Progressive Conservative leader, Patrick Brown, voted against the bill as he views prohibiting protestors will hinder free speech. Brown has voiced his concerns with Kathleen Wynne and the Liberal party’s ethics on his Twitter account.

“Kathleen Wynne has an agenda. That agenda is to re-open debates about divisive social issues…She’s not motivated by what’s good for Ontario. She’s motivated, as always, by what’s good for her. Let me be very clear. I’m pro choice,” according to a video posted on Brown’s Twitter account.  

The Ontario Liberal Party, Ontario New Democratic Party and Trillium Party of Ontario are moving forward with the bill to ensure safe spaces for women.

Those who infiltrate the boundary will be fined $5,000 and sentenced to six months in jail for the first offense. Repeat offenders will be charged $1,000 to $10,000 and jailed for a year.

“The idea is simple, women should have free and easy access to these clinics without somebody stopping them or subjecting them to imagery that could be very traumatic and disturbing,” said Naqvi.

Naqvi is pushing for quick legislative action in order to secure the bill against constitutional objections.

What do you think of Ontario passing Bill 163? Let us know in the comments below!