This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

With a new year comes new resolutions, aspirations and…playlists! Besides the usual goals set during the new year, whether it’s completing that personal project you’ve been working on or securing the internship you’ve been working toward, there are many other experiences to look forward to in the new year.

Now, you might be wondering, why playlists? If you’re someone who enjoys listening to music, there might be a few new playlists or songs you can add to your current playlist rotation. You can have a playlist for anything: studying, working out, relaxing, or even while working on your own hobbies!

Let’s take a deeper look into a few types of playlists.

1. The Study Playlist

As students with quizzes, assignments and exams, a study playlist can come in handy. There are many playlists that can be found online such as Spotify’s Intense Studying playlist or this YouTube 1AM Study Session video. Oftentimes, you may hear people saying that if you listen to music while studying, you should use music without lyrics. If that’s the type of music you’re interested in, consider listening to instrumentals, classical music or the soundtrack from your favourite show, movie or video game.

2. The Workout Playlist

When you’re moving about, whether it is working out at the gym or doing a couple of chores around the house, it can help to have upbeat music playing in the background. Like the study playlists, there are many workout playlists out there that can do the job. In fact, Spotify has an entire page dedicated to these playlists for your selection, and you can always drop by YouTube and listen to one of the many music mixes on the platform.

3. The Relaxation Playlist

More similar to the study playlist than the workout playlist, you can put on your relaxation playlist when doing yoga or when you’re settling in for bed. These playlists are often quieter and include ambient, jazz or piano music. Spotify has many of these playlists, one being the Ambient Relaxation playlist, and many more videos on YouTube with relaxing sounds and stunning visuals.

These are only a few of the many playlists you could create for the new year. Who knows, maybe switching up your playlists and songs will lead you to finding your favourite one of 2021!

Happy New Year!