Lindsay Cecile, Goal Getter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Name: Lindsay Cecile
Age: 22
Program: Psychology
Hometown: Petrolia, ON

Where do you work/what do you do?

I work at Victoria Hospital/London Health Sciences Centre as a third party contractor through Western. I’m in the Research Department of Psychiatry.

What do you enjoy about your job?

Understanding some of the inner workings of the hospital, connecting and networking with people in my field, and learning about the current research going on at Western/LHSC.

What is your favorite experience that Western provided you with?

I feel like I should give one academic and one extra curricular example. I had tons of hands on lab/research experience through the Huron psychology program. I think that was very unique because I was able to perform my own studies; I even had the chance to do behavioural studies on rats. In my final year I took part in the Alternative Spring Break program and went to New Orleans. This was an unreal experience and I would encourage every student to do something similar.  

Have you experienced any setbacks in university/life that helped you grow?

Yes, and one I’m sure 99% of us have—not knowing where my degree would take me, or what I would be doing after I crossed the stage at convocation.

Are you where you thought you would be 5 years ago or even at the start of your university career?

Yes/no. I always liked psych and knew I would go to school for something in that field, but I had no idea the opportunities that my degree could bring me so it left my future a little foggy.

Have you achieved your goals?

No, but I’m not upset about this—I have a range of goals, some short term like “wake up before noon on Saturday,” and others much more long term about things like my career and school. I definitely have achieved some of my goals, but if I don’t continue to set new ones nothing would stop me from just watching Netflix all day everyday.

What was your favorite thing to do in London?

Outdoor skating/summer festivals at Victoria Park.

Do you have any mottos that you live by?

Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

What’s your favorite thing to do in your spare time?

I love TV shows so definitely finding time to stay up-to-date on all of my fav shows is something I like to do. What is Shonda going to put Meredith Grey through next?

Where is the best place you have travelled to?

The best place I have travelled to is Italy, gimme all that pasta.

What’s your favorite photo of a dog in a costume?

(OK this is the most relevant interview question I have ever been asked!) All photos of dogs in costume are my favourite, but if I’m forced to choose it’s definitely a golden retriever in PJs.

Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.