Library Etiquette: How to Not Annoy Your Cubicle Neighbours

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

As we settle into the month of finals, the Tim Hortons lines grow longer and the libraries stay open later. Naturally, it seems like a Public Service Announcement of how to behave in a library is necessary. Please don’t be that person who “whispers” nonstop with their friends, or saves a million seats by spreading out sheets of paper. Believe me, you may think you’re being smooth about it, but you aren’t. Finals are rough enough, lets help each other out by making sure the library stays a quiet and (somewhat) enjoyable place to study.In my four years at UWO, I’ve witnessed some pretty annoying stuff at the library. So whether you’re studying at Weldon, Taylor, Kings, or really anywhere else on campus, here’s a few tips you should follow.

1. If you are in a quiet or no talking zone, DON’T TALK.People may frequently steal the “quiet floor” signs from Weldon to decorate their rooms, but that does not mean the rules have changed. Yes, whispering counts as talking; As does playing Snapchats out loud on full volume, calling someone on your phone “really quickly,” or playing your music so loudly that you might as well be talking. Be courteous and head to a stairwell or a louder floor if you plan on doing so. I get it, everyone has things that come up that they need to address, or notifications that they feel they need to check — but if you’re going to be loud about it just get up and take a walk. You deserve a study break anyways .
  2. We all know that ‘no eating’ is one of the most commonly ignored rules in the library, but be aware of the noise level of the food you bring.A bag of crunchy carrot sticks and a crinkly chip bag should stay at home. A coffee and a bagel are much better choices for library food.
  3. Avoid playing footsies with the person in the cubicle across from you.Everyone needs to stretch occasionally, but keep it on your side! Its uncomfortable to have someone else’s legs in your space taking up the already minuscule amount of leg room.
  4. We all search out seats near a plug, so don’t complain if you can’t find one.See also: don’t show up around noon and whine about not being able to find a seat. Sometimes you can get lucky but often people show up by 8am or earlier and have earned their seat.
  5. Say “yes” when people ask you to watch their stuff for them.It can be such a struggle when you have to go to the washroom but don’t want to pack up your stuff and lose your spot. So ask someone to watch your laptop for you, and return the favour for them. 
  6. NO BAREFEET.Sitting in sock feet at your spot is one thing, but walking around in just socks or, even worse, bare feet, is disgusting. I once heard girls on the bus discussing whether or not going to the bathroom in just socks is okay. Let me answer that for them with a resounding ‘no.’
Alexie is a graduate from The University of Western Ontario where she majored in English and minored in both Writing and Anthropology. She is now a graduate student at Western, where she is completing a Masters of Media in Journalism and Communications. Reality TV junkie and social media addict (follow her on instagram: @alexie_elisa and twitter: @AlexieRE_Evans), Alexie is ecstatic to be on the alum team of HC Western Ontario after loving being the campus correpondent in her undergrad!