This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Whether you go away to university living with friends you’ve known your whole life, or you played the lottery and ended up with roommates you’d never met before, living with someone new can be challenging. When I went away to school, I had never met or spoken to my roommates until the day when we all moved in. Here’s what I have to say to the girls that I lived with in first year.

To The Cool Girl:

You were so exciting. When I met you you were so fun and I wanted to be your friend instantly. You were funny and outgoing and stylish and amazing. Everyone noticed, which is why I didn’t get to know you as well as I should have. You had so many friends, and I was shy. I wish I had taken the time to get to know you better, or had at least tried harder to stay in contact with you after first year. I hope everything’s going well for you in school and life.

To The Party Girl:

When we moved in, you seemed like a lot of fun, and as time went on I realized it was a bit too much. It started when you threw parties in our apartment without asking us. I’m not opposed to parties, but you treated the space as if it was only yours. I remember trying to study for midterms as you and your friends blared your music and screamed. I remember when you celebrated your “birth week,” demanding the maximum attention possible. While I might have been friends with you if we didn’t live together, it was impossible to live with you.

To My Best Friend:

I remember feeling like we weren’t going to get along, which is  funny, since we ended up clicking so well. You’re what made my first year so spectacular. We were able to deal with all of our first year problems together and we built our friendship on being roommates first. We tackled living with strangers while becoming friends, which has helped me in university. As terrifying as it was to move in with people I had never met, it was made all worthwhile because I got to live with you. To this day I can’t imagine living with anyone else.

Hello! I graduated from my masters in journalism in 2018 and have carried my passion for writing.
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.