A Letter to The Best Roommate Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

We met in my second year. I was living alone at the time, and looking for a roommate who wasn’t crazy, and loved my zoo of pets as much as I did. Taylor sent me an email, and wanted to come see my house and what would be her room.

She also had a dog, and my dog loved her at first sight—my normally cautious-of-strangers 120 lb Great Dane covered her with kisses, and sat on her lap, just moments after they met.

There was still a bit of time before the school year ended, and so Taylor and I started hanging out, going shopping and just getting to know each other’s habits and interests. We were both planning on staying in London over the summer and living together, and we started planning fun summer things to do together. By the time she actually moved in, we were already quite close, and were excited to live together.

Shortly after Taylor moved in, my long term relationship ended, and she was my rock during what was a very difficult time. We spent the rest of the summer together, and after work we would hang out and watch TV, or work on a puzzle we bought at the dollar store. After the break up, it brought me so much comfort to be able to talk to her about everything that was going on. If I had been living alone at this time, things would have been really rough for me.

One of our favorite things to do is go to the bar together. We’ll share a bottle of wine and watch a movie while we decide where to go, and then we go to the bar and dance. Talking to guys isn’t our priority when we go out—dancing is. When we go out in larger groups or with other friends, we are always a little bit confused, because they don’t know our plan or what we normally do. At the end of the night, we Uber home, and then we always wind up sleeping in each other’s beds. We also like to have casual nights hanging out at home, and we regularly marathon shows or movies together.

Now after two years living together, we still like each other, and plan to continue living together. We don’t fight, we talk about everything and we spend a ton of time together. We vibe really well, and I absolutely consider her my best friend. We’ve never really talked about things like balancing the chores, or who will do what—sometimes I’ll load the dishwasher, and sometimes she will. Sometimes I’ll eat her groceries, and sometimes she’ll eat mine, but we pretty much share everything—if I buy butter or eggs, we consider them to be communal. If she’s going to the store, she’ll buy more toilet paper cause she’s going to the store, and next time, I’ll do it. It’s an equal balance, and I think that is so important in any relationship—we both make equal effort.

Our personalities also mesh really well together. Taylor is very calm and laidback, and I’m very high strung, and I like things a certain way. She definitely balances my eccentricness and keeps me calm, and I think I help break her out of her shell. And honestly, any one who puts up with me and still wants to hang out with me deserves a gold medal.

I love living with Taylor, and I am so grateful that she puts up with me and my antics. I can’t imagine anyone else as my roommate for the past two years. I can’t wait to see where our future will take us, and what adventures we will go on together!

Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.