Leah Wagner, Track Queen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Name: Leah Wagner

Age: 19

Program: Social Science with the intention of doing International Relations

Hometown: Lunenburg, Nova Scotia

What’s your favourite part of Lunenburg?

I’d say being near the ocean and having access to a lot of good restaurants and good food.

Tell me about yourself and some of the things you do at Western:

I was on the track and field team at Western last year and will hopefully be on it again this year, so that takes up most of my time, but I really make an effort to explore campus and all the events that happen there.

Would you say you have any specific lessons you’ve taken from being part of track?

Definitely a lot of running skills, but I would say learning how to motivate yourself even on the days you don’t necessarily want to go do a hard workout. Really having the team there to support you, and knowing that you can ask for help. And generally finding a way to overcome obstacles.

Literally and figuratively.

Too bad I’m not a hurdler!

What did you do this summer?

I worked at a waitress at the Salt Shaker Deli. It’s this tiny restaurant that’s super popular with locals and with tourists, and we were on You Gotta Eat Here in 2014. It’s just a great time – great atmosphere, great food. If you ever get the chance to visit, I recommend it.

How did you choose your major?

I actually started in engineering last year, and I liked it, but not enough to continue to do it for the rest of my university career or life. I made the switch into what was my secondary program coming in, which was Social Science with the intention to do International Relations. I’m a lot happier this year.  

Would you have any advice for students thinking of switching majors?

I would say stick it out for the remainder of the year unless you’re really not enjoying it, because that way you get the credits and in a lot of cases some of those can transfer. That way you won’t end up completely lost in between programs. But if you’re really not enjoying it then make the change for yourself.

Do you have any mottos that you live by?

“Where there’s a will, there’s a way.”

Last question – what is your goal for this year?

My goal is to have a good balance of social and school life. I think it’s really easy to get caught up in what’s going on around you with your friends, but on the flip side you can also get your head buried a little bit too far in the books sometimes. I think finding a good balance will be my goal for the year.

Lauren has been writing for Her Campus Western since 2016. With an Honours Specialization in Media, Information and Technoculture, and a minor in Women's Studies, she is considering careers in teaching, marketing, and journalism. She has a passion for intersectional, embodied, and inclusive feminism, and is dedicated to exploring areas of media culture and ideological discourse through her writing.
Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.