Kings, Huron and Brescia University Colleges

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

A few weeks ago we featured UWO as our celebrity of the week and it’s only fitting that we now feature Kings, Huron and Brescia. How much do you know about the affiliate university colleges?

Kings University College
Kings, initially affiliated with St. Peter’s Seminary, was founded in 1954 and was originally known as ‘College of Christ the King.’ The name was changed to Kings in 1966 after it was affiliated with UWO. However, the title ‘University College’ was not added until 2004 to evade confusion with a university with the same name in Edmonton.

Interesting Facts:

• The mansion ,before being used by Kings, was used by The Richard Ivey School of Business and the faculty of music
  • Kings has about 3600, most of whom are undergraduate students
  • Some notable alumni include; NHL player Danny Syvret, professional wrestler Cody Deaner, current archbishop of Toronto Thomas Christopher Collins, Non-fiction writer John Melady and former member of parliament Pat O’Brien.

Brescia University College
Founded in 1919 by the Ursulines, Brescia was initially known as Ursuline College. After being affiliated as a Roman Catholic affiliate of UWO, the school was renamed after the Italian city of Brescia where their religious order was founded. The school was renamed in 1963 as Brescia College and to Brescia University College in 2001.
Interesting Facts:

• The first class consisted of 7 young women
  • Construction on Brescia’s present location began in 1923
  • Notable alumni include Director General of the World Health Organization Magaret Chan and philanthropist Beryl Ivey, CM.

Huron University College
Huron was founded by two Anglican priests in 1863 and is the oldest affiliate college of UWO. In fact, Huron predates the founding of UWO by 15 years and acted as a founding component of UWO. On June 23, 2000, the school’s name was changed to Huron University College and an act respecting Huron was given Royal Assent. The university college corporation’s arms, supporters, flag and badge were registered with the Canadian Heraldic Authority on September 15, 2005.

Interesting Facts:

• Huron’s first class had 13 students and was taught in 1863
  • Over one-fifth of the Canadian Anglican chaplains who served in the First and Second World Wars trained at Huron
  • Some notable alumni include Paul Beeston CM, President of the Toronto Blue Jays; Alfred Apps, President of the Liberal Party of Canada; Allison Vuchnich, reporter for Global News Television; David Patchell-Evans, founder of GoodLife Fitness and David Steinberg, Judge of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice.

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King%27s_University_College_(University_of_Western_Ontario)

Rida is a fourth year student at the University of Western Ontario and is extremely excited about the opportunity to bring Her Campus to London! She recently changed her major from Finance to English Literature after finally realizing what she wanted to do with her life. Having spent her whole life in the Middle East (Dubai and Saudi Arabia) Rida had no choice but to grow up a shopaholic! Having shifted from the desert to the great ice box that is Canada, she still finds it difficult to adjust to the freezing weather. In her spare time, Rida likes reading, watching way too many shows, stuffed crust pizza and,of course, shopping! Her aspirations are to one day live in Paris and be a writer for Vogue.