Kelley Morgan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Kelley Morgan is not only one of the kindest and most welcoming individuals you’ll ever meet, but this stunner can also rock a karaoke bar like it’s nobody’s business! Kelley’s own experience with mental illness makes her our brave and inspiring campus cutie this week!

Year/Program: Fourth year, FIMS (Faculty of Information and Media Studies)

Hometown: Caledon east Ontario

Relationship Status: Single

Favourite hobbies and activities: Karaoke and playing the ukulele

Kelley also took part in our Mental Health Awareness Week! 

Why did you decide to come to Western?“My program is really unique and aligned perfectly with what I wanted to get into, which was communications and marketing.”

Are you involved with any clubs/councils on campus? “I’m a member of the USC — I’m the publications coordinator.”

Favourite on-campus location? “The Spoke.”

Favourite off-campus location?

“Molly Blooms and Symposium.”

Who’s your biggest inspiration and why?

“My mother is the strongest person I know, she inspires me to be kind and hardworking through example.”

If your life were a movie, who would play you?“Zooey Deschanel. I wish it was Jennifer Lawrence but Zooey and I share an awkwardness and love for terrible dancing.

What’s one thing you would tell a sufferer of mental illness who is scared to come forward to their friends and family? “I’d tell someone suffering that making small steps towards wellness is best thing you can do. Don’t get overwhelmed by telling someone you love, it’s one of the first steps to getting better. A support system is key.

What’s the most rewarding/positive thing you experienced in opening up about your own experiences?

The best part about opening up is that I felt less burdened by my own thoughts. Finally I could be honest with how I was feeling and help people who were going through the same thing.”

What’s the scariest thing about opening up and how did you handle it?

“The worst part was worrying my family and friends, and seeing how my illness affected them. But they’re strong and held me up when I needed it, and thanks to them, now I’m strong enough to hold myself up.”

What are your plans after graduating this year? “I’m applying to get into the continuing studies program at western to get a diploma in marketing. Fingers crossed!”

Alexie is a graduate from The University of Western Ontario where she majored in English and minored in both Writing and Anthropology. She is now a graduate student at Western, where she is completing a Masters of Media in Journalism and Communications. Reality TV junkie and social media addict (follow her on instagram: @alexie_elisa and twitter: @AlexieRE_Evans), Alexie is ecstatic to be on the alum team of HC Western Ontario after loving being the campus correpondent in her undergrad!