This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Meet Jonathan Ko!  He’s funny, smart, a Western DragonBoat-er, and a singer!  Is there anything this guy doesn’t do?  He spends his spare time playing guitar, volunteering with the Biochemistry Volunteer Project, and cooking for his girlfriend (because “she likes it”).  Read about him below and find out what his most embarrassing moment was, where he would time travel back to, and who he would have on his side during a zombie apocalypse.  

Age: 21

Year: 3

Program: BMSc, Biochemistry and Cell Biology

Hometown: Toronto

Relationship Status: Taken

If you were to win an oscar, what category would it be for?

I’d say best visual effects, since I’m armed with a variety of facial expressions and can wiggle my eyebrows strangely-fast.  (Strange enough, I had an uncle that could do that, and I guess he passed it on to me).

Name one of your favourite things about your family.

My family always checks up on me to make sure I’m okay when I’m here at school.  My little sister, Kimmy, always draws me a picture to take back to remind me of home.

Do you have any quirky habits?

Apparently, before explaining anything, I’ll pause, tilt my head, and use a plethora of eyebrow movements accompanied by hand gestures to get the point across.  Did I just do that now?

What are the last three shows you binged on Netflix?  Any you’d recommend?

Archer, Dexter, and House of Cards… Is it just me, or does Kevin Spacey always pronounce “whip” as “h’wip”?  A must watch is The Walking Dead though!

Have you ever cried during a movie?  If so, which one?

My girlfriend made me watch The Notebook.  It was a single, manly tear.

You’ve just been given access to the TARDIS (can travel anywhere in time and space). Where’s the first place you’d go?

I’d love to know more about my roots.  I’d probably visit my ancestors from hundreds of years ago.  I’d see what they were like and what wisdom they would have to offer!

What’s the nicest thing you’ve ever done for someone?

I had just finished work at Canadian Tire and was at McDonald’s with my friend.  I saw this scruffy man writing paragraphs furiously on napkins.  Curious, I walked up to him and asked him what he was doing.  We had a nice conversation.  He told me that he was a writer and had all these amazing ideas for a book.  Since I would study at work during breaks, I had a notebook.  I bought him a coffee, gave him all the paper I had with me, and wished him good luck.  I wonder if he ever got published…

What’s your most embarassing moment?

Oh geez.  Truth be told, when I was about five, I ran around and kissed a random stranger’s butt at Disneyworld… Let’s just say Disney didn’t make my parents’ wishes come true that day.

Who’s your celebrity crush?

Annie Adderall, aka Alison Brie, from Community!

What’s the most important thing you’ve learned since you’ve been in university?

You have to push yourself to grow.  If there’s nothing challenging you, how will you find your limits?

What was your dream job growing up?

Professional taste tester.  I loved eating so much, that when I was little, I’d fall asleep holding food in my hands.

If you could master one skill right now what would it be?

Cooking, for sure.  You can only have instant noodles in so many ways!

Which fictional character would you choose to have on your side during a zombie apocalypse?

Batman.  If I’m going to live through an apocalypse, might as well do it with money and in luxury! 

Favourites

Album: A Night at the Opera by Queen

TV show: Community

Catchphrase: “What do you mean that’s due tomorrow?”

Cereal: Corn Pops.  Love my sugar!

Possession: The watch my girlfriend gave me on my 21st birthday! I’m always wearing it.

Website: Instagram.  I can’t get enough of all the food pictures!

Hey, I'm Elisa: 4th year Western Mustang and ardent movie nerd.  I love The Legend of Zelda, Star Wars and Wes Anderson.  I'm currently on a Doctor Who binge, been told that I'm quite good at Super Smash Bros, and have a deep connection with Tina Belcher from Bob's Burgers.
Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.