This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

If you haven’t already heard, capsule wardrobes are all the rage right now! They consist of basic staples that you can layer or switch up depending on the season, event, or place. This way, you’ll have endless outfit combinations for any occasion. If you’ve been looking to invest in your wardrobe this year or want to up your style game, look no further! Here are some beginner tips to start your very own capsule wardrobe.

Basics are the foundation for capsule wardrobes, you should decide on a colour palette that is suitable for multiple occasions and that’ll complement you well! Some common colours people usually like to stick to include neutrals: black, white, beige, brown, olive, etc. Additionally, you can always buy staple pieces for a pop of colour depending on your preferences! 

Start by picking up some neutral shirts, both long and short-sleeved, turtlenecks and tanks work as well. You can always start with these pieces and layer them to elevate your outfits! You can find some at stores like Zara, H&M, Aritzia, or you can always thrift if you’re able to avoid fast-fashion retailers.

Next, invest in a good pair, or two, of jeans and versatile pants that can go with anything. Leather or faux leather pants have been quite trendy recently and are great for the colder months, you can find them at stores like Aritzia or Abercrombie and Fitch! Jeans can often be thrifted as well, especially if you love older styles! Alternatively, if you don’t like the previously mentioned options, feel free to go with neutral simple dress pants, like the effortless pant!

Shoes and accessories are often interchangeable and can be chosen according to what you personally prefer! Some staples that go with anything include white sneakers, black boots, a solid coloured (or minimally graphic) baseball cap or beanie, a black purse or crossbody, and gold or silver jewellery! These are often the finishing touches so just pair them with your clothing accordingly and you’ll have a whole outfit! 

Lastly, buy outerwear like jackets and coats as needed! Once again, stick to a colour you can pair with all your outfits so that you’ll always look put together with no matter how effortless the outfit truly was. Shackets, hoodies/zip-ups, and fur-lined jean jackets are great for moderately cold temperatures in fall and spring while jackets and coats are good for colder climates. If you plan on owning more than one piece of outerwear, try getting a few different colours, such as a black jacket and a brown coat for variety, while still staying on theme! 

Overall, you only need a few pairs of each item at most, that’s the beauty of a capsule wardrobe! You’ll have a minimal and more sustainable wardrobe and always have something to wear. Whether you’re packing light for travelling or you simply want to expand your closet, a capsule wardrobe is the way to go!

Simran Khalsa

Western '24

Simran is a second year student at Western University pursuing a major in Political Science. She enjoys coffee, binging Netflix (loves New Girl), and spontaneous adventures! In her free time, she tutors elementary and high school students, likes to learn new hobbies, and she loves spending time with her family and friends. Simran is passionate about women's rights on a global scale and is excited to work alongside her peers to help empower young women through the Her Campus platform!