How to Make Your Cat an Internet Celebrity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Starring: Leo (Crazy Eyes)

This year for Christmas one of my friends got me the most practical gift imaginable: a guide written by Patricia Carlin for turning your cat into an Internet celebrity. I decided to rise to the occasion. Using her tips, and including some of my own, I wanted to achieve Internet cat fame. Could I do it? Could I turn my roommate’s cat into a household name?? Probably not, but this article provided a great excuse to avoid schoolwork and to share the adorable pictures I have accumulated in the few months since my roommate Rachel and her cat Leo moved in.

CHAPTER 1: GROOMING YOUR STAR

In identifying Leo’s note-worthy traits the first things to come to mind are his somewhat crazy eyes and his long, luxurious fur. He also has an unending desire to play and an excessive love of catnip.

The next step was identifying your cats “type.” From a list that included clinically insane, sweet-baby kitten, and others I decided Leo best fit under the heartthrob category. He perfectly fit the criteria of getting away with murder just because he is too adorable to discipline. It is also questionable whether people follow me on Instagram for my breathtaking selfies, or simply because they cannot get enough of this cat.

STAGE NAME: Although I find the name Leo to be a perfect fit, Carlin’s book suggests a stage name for the cat, a sort of adopted personality. I went with Crazy Eyes. It also has television connotations to the popular show Orange Is The New Black, allowing the potential of drawing a large fan-base.

CHAPTER 2: LIGHTS, KITTY ACTION!

PROMPTS FOR CINEMATIC GLORY

*all asterisked ideas are not from the book and have been added by me*

1. Boxes, any and all boxes

2. ***Associate with an already well-known Internet cat.

3. Glass of water (a fish tank will do)

4. Costumes

Lots of costumes!

Alexie is a graduate from The University of Western Ontario where she majored in English and minored in both Writing and Anthropology. She is now a graduate student at Western, where she is completing a Masters of Media in Journalism and Communications. Reality TV junkie and social media addict (follow her on instagram: @alexie_elisa and twitter: @AlexieRE_Evans), Alexie is ecstatic to be on the alum team of HC Western Ontario after loving being the campus correpondent in her undergrad!