How To Make Your 2017 New Year’s Resolutions Stick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

With 2017 fast approaching, many of us are looking back on the year and analyzing where things went wrong. Maybe you partied too much and your grades suffered, or you carelessly swiped that Visa card too many times, and if you’re a student it’s likely that your diet this year wasn’t that great (coffee counts as a vitamin right?). In lieu of the many regrettable decisions you made this year, 2017 presents a shining beacon of hope of new opportunities and a better you.

With the resolutions for the new year running rampant through your brain, one thing you may want to consider is how to actually keep them. It’s easy to plan to do something and another thing entirely to accomplish it.

Think of self-discipline and willpower like a muscle: you need to exercise it in order to make it stronger.

You can also think about this one in academic terms. If you study very hard one week, do all of your readings and start your assignments early but then take the next week off, and then repeat this pattern, you’re unlikely to do well in that course. Consistency is key to following through on any of your resolutions. There are no “breaks” in developing the new you.

Prioritize: One change at a time

Behavioural changes take time and effort, they won’t happen overnight. Your mind needs time to absorb these changes. If you’re simultaneously trying to quit smoking, strengthen those biceps, and get 80s in school, you’re probably doing too much and a lot of these changes won’t stick past January.

If you’re incredibly set on changing several things about yourself in the new year, make a list. Keep that list somewhere that’s easily visible, so your ideas will stay fresh in your mind.

Sub-strategies: think it through

Keep in mind that most of these resolutions require multiple changes in your behaviour. If you resolve to lose weight, this likely involves going to the gym on a regular basis but also entails changing the way you shop for groceries, how you cook, and strictly monitoring your meal portions.

The bad news? Your hopeful and optimistic “I’m going to be happier in 2017” isn’t a very realistic goal. What is currently making you unhappy? How can you minimize these things, or change them? Think through your sub-strategies.

Drink orange juice!

While this sounds less than conventional, drinking orange juice is an instant boost for those days when your self-restraint is low and you’re feeling less motivated. This is because practicing self restraint takes energy and lowers the amount of glucose in your system. Sugar-rich drinks like orange juice, pure cranberry juice, and lemonade (not the artificial kinds) will quickly replenish your energy levels and help keep you on track.

DON’T give it 100%

100% resolutions, meaning absolute resolutions or ones that force you to quit something cold turkey, Do. Not. Work. The minute you make a minor mistake or slip up, you’ll use this as an opportunity to quit working on this resolution entirely.

For example, if you eat too much candy or chocolate and feel it’s taking a negative toll on your health, don’t decide that “I’m never going to eat chocolate again.” Instead, plan to eat chocolate on designated occasions, such as birthdays or special family dinners. Setting resolutions like this changes your habits for the better and gives you something to look forward to!

Make a “Get Psyched” Mix!

If you’re a fan of How I Met Your Mother, you’ll be familiar with Barney Stinson’s “Get Psyched” mix, which he plays on repeat in a season one episode called “The Limo.”

Spend some time curating a playlist of your favourite (preferably upbeat) songs. When you’re feeling unmotivated blast it on repeat! Music has a unique way of creating a feel-good attitude about life, and a positive attitude will do your self-discipline wonders.

For Barney’s “Get Psyched” mix click here.

Stefanie is majoring in English Literature & MIT, spending much of her time at the University of Western Ontario acquiring her tastes for the finer things in life, such as high-end cosmetics & everything chocolate. A strong advocate for animal rights, she is happiest surrounded by her furry friends. For your weekly dose of sass & eloquence follow her on Instagram @s_karasavidis
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.