This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

With the end of the school year in sight, the thing on my mind (other than finding a summer job of course) is all the books I get to read that have absolutely nothing to do with school. As much as I love Michel Foucault, I’ll save the philosophy texts for next semester’s TBR (To Be Read) List.

For those of you who don’t identify as readers and don’t aggressively sniff books when they think no one is looking, I’ll have you know that the Internet has just declared books as the new “it” fashion accessory. So, I think it’s time you got accessorizing! With books, that is.

Below is a list of some of my favourite summer cheesy reads. Just your classic summer romance. But, if you really are adamant about not reading in the summer, want to save room in your carry-on or simply don’t enjoy reading (still unsure if these types of people actually exist, but okay), all the books listed below are actually available in audiobook format. Heck! Some of these I’ve only ever listened to and have never actually “read.”

Audiobooks, like podcasts, are great if you’re on the go. They are the perfect companions for spontaneous summer road trips, plane rides, or your commute to that unpaid internship you thought would be a good resume builder. Audiobooks are usually my preferred method to enjoy those corny summer romance books that we all can’t help but enjoy. Here are a few I recommend you check out if you’re looking for an easy summer read!

1.The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares

Yes, everyone’s favourite girl-group movie featuring Blake Lively pre-nose job was based on a book. I like to consider this whole book series a modern classic and the perfect summer binge read. The books, like the movies, follow an unlikely group of friends and the highs and lows of each summer they spend apart from each other and are only united by these magical jeans that fit all of them perfectly. This is a great choice if, like me, you’re heartbroken over moving out of your student house with all your friends and don’t know what you’ll do not seeing them every day. It helps to get over those feelings of summertime sadness but contains all the great tropes of your classic young adult (YA) novel. Plus, once you’re done the audiobook, you’ll definitely want to watch the movie again, another great way to pass the time if you’re traveling this summer!

2. Once and For All by Sarah Dessen

Sarah Dessen is another classic YA author with plenty of great summer reads to choose from. What I like about this one is that the protagonist is more cynical than your average trope-y main character. It adds a refreshing snarkiness to an otherwise cute and light story. If you enjoyed this one, my other favourite Dessen novel is called Lock and Key and is also available as an audiobook.

3. You Know Me Well by David Levithan and Nina LaCour

Told in alternating chapters, this is a fun read that takes place at a Pride festival one summer. My favourite audiobooks are ones that have more than one narrator because that means they get two voice actors to read for each character. This book features just enough heartache and truth to make you feel the right amount of sad.

4. Miss You by Kate Eberlen

Another personal favourite of mine. This is a great option if you’re trying to branch out beyond the world of YA and are tired of reading about 16 year-olds falling in love as you’re 20 and sipping a glass of wine. It follows the story of two 18-year olds over the span of 16 years and how their paths intersect. Like the previous book, it is told in alternating chapters. So, the audiobook features two voice actors, which adds to the immersive environment of the audiobook format.

5. Since You’ve Been Gone by Morgan Matson

Every summer, without fail I listen to a Morgan Matson audiobook. The length of them can seem daunting but her books are the perfect summer reads. This particular one is great because it follows the story of two friends. There’s a touch of romance, but it’s nice to read a book that features a strong female friendship at its core. I’m also a huge fan of her other book, The Unexpected Everything, and definitely recommend it if you enjoy this one.

6. The Summer of Jordi Perez (and the Best Burger in Los Angeles) by Amy Spalding

My last recommendation takes place in Los Angeles and follows Jordi Perez’s experience working as a summer intern, falling in love, and not being anyone’s sidekick for once. What I love about this book is its diverse cast of characters; we love representation!

I hope you found an audiobook to accompany you on whatever journey this upcoming summer break has to offer. I’ve linked each book title to a corresponding audible page where you can buy the audiobook, but not to worry! There are some free options for you to get your listening on this summer. Many local libraries have audiobook streaming services that come free with a library card. The ones I frequently use and highly recommend are Hoopla and OverDrive. Many of these services have apps you can download on your phone and stream audiobooks from so you can listen from anywhere!

Happy Reading!