This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Meet Gabrielle French; a fourth year music student at Western University!  She’s a hardworking, heavily involved, and incredibly talented Western Mustang!  On top of her busy music schedule, this Mustang Musician is also the VP of Events on the Western Dragon Boat Club, on the Don Wright Faculty of Music Students’ Council, and participates in multiple music competitions.  Read all about Gabrielle below, as she tells us how she started her music career and gives us an inside look on the Music Program at Western!

Age: 21 

Year: 4th year

Program: BMus in Vocal Performance + Minor in General English

Hometown: Mississauga 

Relationship Status: Long term relationship with coffee

Tell me about yourself! 

I’m a full time student, classically trained singer (mezzo soprano), and Dragonboater. Highlights of my day include spending time with friends and/or family, anything to do with a dog, and food.

Is your family musical?  How did you start out in music? 

My mom used to play piano when I was a kid so naturally I took piano lessons, then joined school and church choir, and began performing solo until I was in high school. But we have no idea where the singing came from.

Why did you choose your major? 

I went to a Regional Arts high school; so pursuing music seemed like the natural idea. Originally I was in Music Education and hadn’t even considered switching majors but I guess my professor knew before me. During one lesson in 2nd year she put the Performance application in front of me, and here we are.

The music program at Western is incredibly time consuming!  How do you balance your music with other obligations? 

Haha it really is, and it’s definitely a trial and error learning process. By now I’ve luckily got organizing my time by the hour, and learning how to prioritize school vs. extra curricular responsibilities down. Coffee also helps a lot.

Have you been in any musical competitions?  

More recent one would be the National Association of Teachers of Singing Ontario Chapter (NATS) 2 years ago where I won 1st place in my post-secondary division. To be honest I perform more than I compete at the moment, with UWOpera, summer opera programs, and for part of credits at school.

How do you handle nerves before a performance? 

Everyone has their own little rituals or traditions before performances, kind of like athletes before a game. It definitely becomes a mix of excitement and nerves; may sound corny but I make a quick list of things I’m grateful for in my head, small prayer, take a deep breath right before I walk on stage, and just enjoy the high of it all.

What advice would you give to first year music students at Western? 

Get involved! Join a club, team, your faculty council, or anything university wide. Music is an incredibly welcoming, tight-knit faculty so don’t be afraid to expand your connections and experiences beyond it.

What was the single most significant turning point of your life? 

Doing my first opera in Lucca, Italy at a program called AEDO (Accademia Europea dell’Opera). By first opera I mean I’d never done a full opera before and decided to try it out in a foreign country where it’s literally engrained in the culture (#yolothinking). Definitely worked my hardest, learned an incredible amount, got to truly experience another culture and language, and in the end fell in love with opera and what I do.

Which famous musicians do you admire most?  

In my field, Joyce DiDonato, Elina Garanca, Maria Callas to name a few are incredible singers and true goals. In popular music, I really admire Ben Rector, Ed Sheeran and Hozier.  They all write amazing music and put together great albums.

What channels are you subscribed to on YouTube? 

A lot of random makeup and fashion gurus, Munchies, BuzzFeed.

What movies are you most looking forward to this year? 

X-Men Apocalypse! And Zootopia, haven’t gotten a chance to see it yet.

What was your favourite television show when you were younger? 

Anything Disney. And I can quote Friends to this day.

What was your biggest childhood fear? 

The dark…I was that kid that bolted up the stairs after turning a light off.

FAVOURITES 

Musical: Les Misérables (cliché I know) 

Artist: Ben Rector at the moment 

Song: 30,000 feet by Ben Rector 

Superhero: Batman 

Disney Character: Pumba from The Lion King

Video Game: Super Smash Bros.

Hey, I'm Elisa: 4th year Western Mustang and ardent movie nerd.  I love The Legend of Zelda, Star Wars and Wes Anderson.  I'm currently on a Doctor Who binge, been told that I'm quite good at Super Smash Bros, and have a deep connection with Tina Belcher from Bob's Burgers.
Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.