The Frustrations of Applying to Jobs, as Described by “The Office”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

It’s around that time of year: you’re finally getting into the swing of the new semester and your workload begins growing. The stress of school starts creeping up on you, but what’s even more looming than the assignments and midterms is the thought of applying to jobs.

January is the time of year that many companies begin opening up job applications for summer jobs and internships. During the summer between first year and second year, I applied to countless jobs with no success. But I kept my head high and never stopped applying. End result? I worked two jobs, each with its own rewarding advantages.

Although my story had a happy ending, I endured stress and frustration with each application I submitted and with each company that sent their regrets.

It’s only appropriate that The Office, the very same environment I wanted to work in, could help describe my frustrations when applying to jobs.

The Job Search

Your journey begins here. You open Google and type in keywords like “student jobs in *insert field of study*.” Sometimes you are brought to websites like Workopolis, sometimes you’re brought to the specific company’s website and sometimes your search gets you nowhere. Keep trying though, you’ll eventually find something that comes close!

Trying to Navigate the Company’s Website

So you finally landed on a good match. Great! You click on the website and suddenly mission statements and pictures of happy employees bombard your screen. But where is the job you clicked on? Now you’re stuck trying to find the job application once again.

Applying for the Job

Once you manage to find the job (again), you start your application. But you start to panic: maybe you’re only a second year student, but the job is looking for an undergraduate; maybe you’re in science, but the position requires business students; or maybe (and this is the worst) the position requires more years of experience than you’ve ever had working. Period. But here’s a tip: send the application anyways, even if you don’t fit the requirements—some people will take the chance on you.

Perfecting the Resume

Now it’s time to attach your resume and cover letter. You read it over, and over and maybe one more time, JUST to make sure it sounds good. You do not want to sound conceited, but you write enough good things about yourself to assure the employer you’re a good fit.

Clicking “Send”

Your application is done. Your resume and cover letter are attached. But you suddenly get really nervous and the most outrageous scenarios pop into your head: was this the right job or did you click on something different? Did you attach your current resume or your outdated one from high school? The word “SEND” never seemed so daunting.

The Aftermath

You finished your application. Great job! Now there’s only one thing left to do: don’t dwell on the application and move on to a new one. Time to start a whole new search!

Applying to jobs is a stressful experience but it is a good skill to get into the habit of doing. And remember: if you don’t get a response or you don’t get the job you were hoping for, keep your head up. It’s hard nowadays in our generation to always come on top of others but don’t let that stop you. Good luck!

This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.