The Four Ways To Keep Yourself Motivated After The Holiday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

The start of a new school semester is finally coming. With Christmas and New Year’s wrapping up so fast, getting back into routine and school spirit often seems difficult. Here are some tips that students can follow to keep their motivation running after a relaxing holiday season.

1. Set a New Year’s resolution, and actually follow it.

Everyone knows how hard it is to actually keep up with that New Year’s resolution that you’ve been trying to achieve for years now. Coming up with a resolution that is actually practical and realistic is extremely important. Start off with something simple rather than getting yourself into something that you’ll quit after a couple of days is the right way to go. Something like going to the gym three times a week or only eating chocolate on the weekends is a good start. Actually following a New Year’s resolution will give you something to look forward to and gives you a sense of achievement and hard work.

2. Start the semester off organized.

Organization is key once school starts. Keep track of what new classes you have, what readings you’ll need to do throughout the semester, and which assignments will be due when. Starting off organized will help you in the long run, and will relieve any anticipated stress in the future. While you’re doing nothing during frost week, this is the time to get organized and motivated to do well when it comes to school work.  

3. Plan to meet up with friends that you haven’t seen since first semester ended.

My favourite part about getting back to London after a break is going out and spending time with friends that I didn’t get the chance to see while I was at home. Spending time with friends is a great way to keep yourself happy and occupied. Whether it be going out for some drinks, hanging out at home, or studying for a course together, friends are a great way to stay motivated and social at the same time.

4. Keep in touch with family.

Sometimes it’s hard to stay in touch with family once you’re away for school. After spending so much time with them during the holidays getting back to school may be difficult. I know I missed my mom doing my dishes, laundry and cooking for me. Calling your parents every once in awhile is a good way to stay up to date with what’s going on at home and laugh a little when you’re feeling down at school. Although your parents can’t make your bed over the phone, listening to their voice is a good way to know that they’re always there.

This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.