Food Support Services at Western

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Org. Name: Food Support Services

Room #, if applicable: UCC 94, the basement of the UCC in the white hall beside the Wellness Education Centre

Tell us more about your organization.

Food Support Services acts as Western’s on-campus food bank, funded by the University Student’s Council. Food Support Services is completely confidential, maintains anonymity and provides students with temporary relief against food insecurity.

What does your group do?

Food Support Services provides food hampers that can be requested at any time and should last enough for two days. Hampers requested are placed in lockers outside of Student Health Services in the UCC basement. Food Support Services also advocates for food-related issues that affect students including student hunger, student nutrition and food insecurity.

How can students get involved/access the service?

Student can access Food Support Services by requesting a hamper through our Google form or PDF form found on our Facebook page or by emailing us at foodsupport@westernusc.ca. Inquiries for emergency hampers can also be made at the Peer Support Centre, an excellent resource for students and the main USC office, located at UCC 340.

What is one thing you wish students knew about your group?

Students should know that hampers can be provided to everyone. Many believe that they should not request a hamper because someone else require it more than they would. However, new studies are finding that almost two out of five students are facing food insecurity issues. The reality is that plenty of students require the service, but can’t to food relief. Anyone can request a hamper and if you or someone you know is facing the struggle of food insecurity, they should request a hamper, completely free and anonymously.

Food insecurity is an issue that affects so many more students than thought. Students commonly joke that their meals only consist of Kraft Dinner and ramen, but the reality is that many students cannot afford nutritious meals, due to the rising costs of tuition, textbooks, housing, basically living. This is not something they should be ashamed about. Our service is here if they need us and they shouldn’t be ashamed about using it.

What is the main goal of the group?

Food Support Services acts to reduce food insecurity on the Western campus. It aims to reduce student hunger and educate students on food-related issues.

Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader. 
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.