Five Books to Get You in the Holiday Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

The holiday season is fast-approaching, and what better way to get in the spirit than by reading festive books? Here’s a list of five holiday-themed books to get you feeling jolly and joyous:

1. The Holiday Swap, Maggie Knox

Two twins have the Christmas swap of a lifetime when siblings Charlie and Cass switch lives for the holidays. The characters are lovable, relatable, and flawed, and the plot twists will keep you guessing until the last page. Great for post-exam stress-relief, The Holiday Swap is a hilarious, escape-from-reality must-read.

2. Mangos and Mistletoe, Adriana Herrara

This novel is the coziest, yummiest (literally, it’s about baking!), F/F romance you’ll read this holiday season. Two Dominican chefs, Kiskeya and Suly, struggle to work together to win the Holiday Baking Challenge and unexpectedly discover that the secret ingredient to winning might just be love.

3. The Polar Express, Chris Van Allsburg

While this may be a children’s novel, it’s nostalgic of the childhood joy we felt in the Christmas season. Filled with the hope of Christmas Eve, magical train rides, and stunning illustrations, The Polar Express is a charming and heartwarming book for readers of all ages.

4. Royal Holiday, Jasmine Guillory

Jasmine Guillory’s trademark humour is unmistakable, and this holiday novel is undoubtedly one of her best. The diverse cast of characters, fairy-tale setting of an English palace in Christmastime, and a heartwarming relationship between the Queen’s private secretary and single mother Vivan Forest, make this a holiday romance one you’ll never forget.

5. A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens

Would it really be a holiday book list without including this beloved Dickens classic? Bob Cratchit’s son, despite being very sick, inspires readers with his courage and belief in the goodness of people. He treats Scrooge, a deeply unhappy man, with kindness and love, melting his cold heart. Filled with themes of compassion, empathy, and the timeless necessity for hope, A Christmas Carol is essential this holiday season.

RELATED ARTICLES

Want more HCW? Check us out on social media! 

FacebookTwitterInstagram

Faith Caswell

Western '24

Hey! My name is Faith and I'm a second-year student at Western. I'm currently doing an honours specialization in English literature and a minor in history studies. I'm passionate about gender equality and advocacy and I'm so excited to be a part of this amazing team!