priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash
priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash

The Distance is Far, But Our Love Doesn’t Have To Be…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Valentine’s Day is the one occasion that you can go the extra mile (LITERALLY), to make your special someone feel extra loved. We are constantly bombarded with advertisements for fancy dinners, hotel getaways and date nights, but what about when you don’t have the luxury of spending time together with your sweetie? It can be a weird and awkward day for everyone, but nothing is worst than wishing you were somewhere you cannot be. Being alone on Valentine’s Day can be tough… But it doesn’t have to be. The following are 5 ideas to express just how much you care – even when you can’t be with the one you love.

1. SKYPE DATE

If you’re a breakfast in bed or a wine and dinner kind of girl, you can eat via Skype and act as though you are together. You may not be able to hold hands across the table, but you can see their face and enjoy good food virtually. If you’re not at the comfort level of divulging meals in front of your man, choose to watch the same movie at the same time in bed – it is pretty much the same as cuddling. Right?

2. SEND A SPECIAL DELIVERY

If your significant other is not a fan of a fresh bunch of flowers, there is plenty of other stuff that you can send to make them feel special. You can contact a local bakery and have fresh baked goods delivered to their doorsteps, place an online order from Edible Arrangements, or ship a package of all their favorite candies and food that they may not have accessibility to in their location. Whatever it may be, taking that extra effort to send something special will guarantee to put a smile on their face.

3. HEAT IT UP

It is easy to send a novel via text about how much you love and miss your partner, but since it is one day to be extravagant, why not heat it up? Take advantage of the fact you aren’t with your lover in person and you can admit all the things you are unable to say face-to-face. Handwrite a love note to send by mail, send a couple photos of yourself, or use social media platforms to display all the things you love about them. It shows you pay attention to detail and care enough to express your love, even if it’s just the thought that counts.

4. SOMETHING YOU CAN DO TOGETHER

The countdown has been on for months until the next time you will see them. I’m sure in that process you have been planning and replanning all the activities and things you must do while you are together. Why not add an event to the itinerary? Let’s be honest, nothing is better than doing things together. Buy tickets to a sporting event, concert, show or musical that both you and your partner are interested in. You can either mail the tickets to your lover, or email the PDF document. This is special because it proves you SERIOUSLY can’t wait to see them again.

5. MIXTAPE

Whether you are a music nerd or just enjoy the thought of someone thinking of you, music is one of the best ways to express emotion and thoughts. Make a mixtape of all the songs that remind you of your significant other. Throw in everything from Passenger to The Weeknd to keep things exciting. Not only is this super adorable and totally something that would happen in a rom-com movie, but you will also have the disc to play whenever you miss them. Being old school very romantic – but if it isn’t for you, sending an iTunes playlist or YouTube links works as well.

This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.