Danielle Austin: President of “The Land of the Glass Slipper”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Firstly, tell us about yourself and the things you do at and outside of Western.

My name is Dani! I’m in my fourth year at King’s University College working towards an Honour’s Specialization in English, and I’m a princess. Three years ago I purchased a small business with my mum, and things have since been busy-ever-after! My hobbies include photography, reading, sewing, wig-styling and singing, all of which have either been a huge asset and product of my job! On top of my regal weekends and education, I work part-time as a child care provider for a 5-year-old girl who has special needs. We’re best friends and spend hours making silly faces at each other and singing Disney songs. I also have a huge veggie garden, and two cats named Ali and Ivan in a home I share with the love of my life. As a true 21st century princess, I am often my own fairy godmother, but I am surrounded by friends and family who are always encouraging me to chase my dreams, and eager to do whatever they can to make all of them come true.

What is “The Land of the Glass Slipper?” What do you do?

The Land of the Glass Slipper is a birthday party/event facility. We host parties in a variety of themes, the most popular, of course, is Princess. We have our own venue in Orangeville and can also be booked to attend a wide variety of public engagements. Our venue, which is really the best part, features a wardrobe with approximately 250 dresses, wands, jewelry, tiaras, wings and purses for kids to dress up in. We have an epic wishing well, disco ball, and dining room which are all decked out to look like a castle. We offer somewhere between 15-25 characters, and any theme a child can dream of! I once dressed up as Justin Bieber (it was awful and we don’t speak of it anymore).

How did you get involved?

So as previously mentioned, I purchased the company. The company was established in 2003. I was hired in 2009 to facilitate parties after attending a friend’s birthday there the year prior. The company’s previous owner, Queen Gwen, ran the company out of her home, which was just around the corner from my own. She became like a grandmother to me, and when she was ready to retire, she approached my mother and I and asked whether we would be interested in carrying on the torch. The rest is history! We have stayed in touch with Queen Gwen and she is a constant source of support, encouragement, and advice.

What kind of people do you look to hire?

We look for reliable, available people who are skilled at acting, singing and improvisation. On top of all of this, they have to love kids. With these high standards, it is hard to find good help! But it also means that our staff are INCREDIBLE, and incredibly close. It sounds so cliché, but we are all one big family. I love my staff—really, they are the heart and soul of our company, and without their work, we wouldn’t be able to do what we do.

What’s it like to run your own business, and what challenges do you often face as a business owner?

You cannot escape! There is so much to do, all of the time. Always. Most of our appearances are on weekends, but let me assure you, it occupies WAY more than two days a week. We get to see small, wonderful humans on the happiest days of their lives! We get all kinds of hugs, drawings, and looks of admiration. Really, I love my job, but sometimes I need to remind myself that! This job is not quite as glamorous as you might think. It’s not just putting on a dress and singing a cheerful tune. It’s belting ‘Let it Go’ seven times a weekend, driving with a hoop skirt on, teeth whitener, runs in nylons, wig head aches and accidentally gluing your eyelid shut thirty minutes before an event with over 60 guests in attendance. There’s a lot of screaming children (sometimes issuing bodily fluids). And those are just the issues that you face as a performer! As an owner I also manage our social media, website, staffing and do most of our costume and wig maintenance. There are paycheques, income tax, food providers, clients and everything else my mum does so I can focus on my studies.

The most rewarding aspect of the job?

The moment after we’ve sung happy birthday and the birthday girl’s face is illuminated only by the candles on their cake, and their hope and excitement as they decide what to wish for. That moment, right there, that’s pure magic. This past weekend we got to host our annual Tea with Mrs. Claus. This is the biggest event we do, and it’s awesome! This year we were able to give tickets to a Syrian family, local families who have suffered extreme tragedy, and Dufferin Child and Family Services. It was a day full of magic. So much joy, so many smiles. That was the fuel we needed. It was just unrefined, organic wonder and awe. With the current global political climate, it was amazing to just abandon reality. There might not be a huge margin of profit as a princess, but those parents and children remind me that the only currency worth having is love and magic.

Who is your favourite princess? Favourite princess to dress up as?

This is SO hard!!! It changes constantly. Right now I’d say Merida (Brave) is my favourite. She’s not a character we offer currently, but she’s so cool! I love her independence and agency, and how family oriented she is. I think she’s a great role model for kids and adults alike. My favourite princess to be is probably Anna. It’s basically a license to run around like a blithering idiot for two hours. I like making kids laugh, and Anna really allows me to do that.

What’s your favourite Disney movie?

Hercules actually! No princess I know, but it’s just hysterical! And the Muses? Unreal! I also love Alice in Wonderland and the Aristocats. I think I overdose on the princesses a bit, so those offer a bit of reprieve, plus the music is awesome!

Favourite Disney song to sing?

‘Let it Go’. I mean, I’m suuuuuuper sick of it by now. But it’s a challenge, it’s in a key that’s comfortable and watching a bunch of kids scream-sing it back at you and dance along, is freakin’ hilarious and totally heart-warming!

Chapter Advisor for Her Campus and Junior Editor/Writer for Her Campus at Western. You can typically find me in the world of English literature.
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.