Chicco Nacion, Sports King

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Name: Chicco Nacion

Age: 24

Year(s) you graduated: 2014, 2016

Program(s) you did: B.A Kinesiology with Honours, Master of Media in Journalism and Communications (MMJC)

What do you do?

Senior writer at CBC Sports.

How did you decide to go into MMJC after doing Kin?

I’ve always had an interest in sports since I was a kid. I knew whatever career I pursued had to involve sports. Halfway through my undergrad in Kin, I began my own sports blog and to seriously consider pursuing a career in sports journalism. Writing about sports felt so liberating and natural. I talk about sports enough already and this was a medium in which I could share my passion with others without being face-to-face with them. I got myself involved at 94.9 CHRW/Radio Western calling Mustangs hockey and basketball games. I decided to take a year off after completing my undergrad to save money for grad school. I didn’t want my decision to go into the MMJC as a spur of the moment decision but also knew that I had to follow my heart.

Did MMJC help you get your current job at CBC?

Without the MMJC, I wouldn’t be working at CBC. For a person who went into journalism school with no English background, I felt that the program definitely provided me with the tools and confidence to help me grow as a writer. The 10-week internship that’s a mandatory component of the program gave me an opportunity to essentially audition for a job at CBC. I’m very thankful for that opportunity as I was brought on to work at CBC during the Rio Olympics after my internship and was hired on as a part-time writer in the fall.

Did you know that sports reporting was what you wanted to do when you were doing your undergrad?

Covering sports is something I’ve thought about for a while even before entering undergrad. My life revolves around sports. As a kid, I used to mimic the sports broadcasters I watched on TV thinking that could be me one day. I don’t think I gained an appreciation for sports writing until my undergrad when I started to really value the stories beyond the wins and losses. I respected the hard work that these writers put into their work in order share an athlete’s story. It made me feel like I knew an athlete on a much deeper level.

What was your best experience at Western?

The best experience at Western was simply just meeting a whole new group of people. I’m from Niagara Falls and a lot of my close friends chose to go to school close at home or at McMaster University. I didn’t know many people living in London or attending school at Western and that was probably the best thing for me. It allowed me to step out of my comfort zone and meet a whole cast of people. The people I’ve met in undergrad and in grad school are some of the best people I know and whom I still keep in touch with. I can honestly say the MMJC is family to me. While the program was only a year-long, you get real close in a class of 34 students. We went to class together, had beers together, and pulled each other through some late night assignments and projects. I’ll never forget these guys and gals.

Any advice you have to those who aren’t sure what they want to do?

My best advice is to take your time. Have patience and don’t rush into something. If you need to take a year off from school to ponder your future, take the year off. There truly is something out there for everyone and it may take some trial and error. Sometimes all it takes is that one moment to spark that fire. One late night at Weldon my roommate asked me if I ever considered a career in sports journalism. We had a long conversation and was probably the extra push I needed to finally pursue what I always wanted.

Who do you look up to?

Vince Carter.

What about him inspires you?

16 years ago, I won a contest from the Toronto Sun to meet Vince Carter, and to ask him one question.  I asked Carter, “How do you feel being compared to Michael Jordan?” Carter replied, “Every day I step on the court, I try to create my own legend.” I’ve carried those words with me every day. One day, I hope I can be the first Karl Nacion and inspire people with my work.

What do you see for yourself in the future?

I’m open to whatever opportunity that presents itself. At the moment, I’m so humbled to be working at CBC and having the opportunity to write about things that are close to my heart. I would definitely love to get into more feature magazine writing or to get in front of the television as a sports anchor or broadcaster. The dream job would be working as a beat writer for a professional sports team.

What do you do for fun?

I enjoy going to any sporting event, going on road trips/travelling with friends, tasting new food and having drinks with friends. My guilty pleasure is my obsession with reality television, more specifically MTV’s The Challenge and Big Brother.

Favorite sports teams!

If there’s a professional sports team from Toronto, I’m a fan and therefore, I’ve been through a lot of losing but things have been looking up lately in The Six for a change.

Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.