This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Are you having trouble choosing between products to improve the appearance of your skin? Here I make a distinction between two popular products: rosehip seed oil and chia seed oil. 

Rosehip seed oil is derived from the small fruit that sits beneath the rose. It’s a popular ingredient for its hydrating and anti-aging benefits. It is best for dry, sensitive and devitalized skin. 

Chia seed oil is the oil extracted from chia seeds. It’s best known for restoring the skin’s moisture barrier, especially those with dry skin conditions, such as atopic dermatitis and psoriasis. However, chia seed oil is still great for all skin types, even blemish-prone and reddened skin. 

Rosehip Benefits

1. Contains linoleic and linolenic acids: These acids help skin’s vital barrier and helps enhance the overall appearance of skin. This helps with the stimulation of collagen production. Collagen is a major component of skin, playing a role in strengthening skin, increasing its elasticity and retaining hydration. As we age, our body begins to produce less collagen, leading to dry skin and formation of wrinkles. In fact, studies show that after using the product on a daily basis for just 8 weeks, this oil already significantly improves collagen production.  

2. High levels of vitamin C: This helps with decreasing the appearance of hyperpigmentation and assists in brightening the skin. 

3. High in essential fatty acids: This intensely hydrates and moisturizes the skin, keeping it well hydrated throughout your day. 

4. Rich in vitamin E and anthocyanin: These two ingredients help to calm and soothe irritation. This is especially beneficial for those dealing with rosacea, eczema and other inflammatory skin problems. 

5. Anti-inflammatory properties and anti-microbial properties: These can help those who are prone to acne. 

Chia Seed Benefits

1. Phenolic acids: This acid is high in antioxidants. Antioxidants protect the skin by reducing and counteracting free radical production. Free radicals damage the skin soit is important to reduce them.  Antioxidants help reduce pigmentation, fine lines and wrinkles. They also help with the production of collagen. 

2. High in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids: They moisturize the skin, while fighting red, dry and itchy areas. This is especially beneficial for those suffering with skin disorders such as atopic dermatitis and psoriasis. There have been studies that show that after 8 weeks of usage, it has significantly improved dry skin. This is not only good for skin but also great for hydrating your hair and promoting shine.  

As a result, it turns out both products produce smooth and soft skin. Though rosehip seed oil provides more benefits, chia seed oil benefits not only the skin, but hair as well. Overall, chia seed oil focuses on making your skin and hair more vibrant, while rosehip seed oil helps with skin sensitivity.