Campus Cutie: Tyler Gowan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

This week is Mental Health Awareness Week at HC Western Ontario. Join the conversation with #HCWesternTalks.

Wow!  Check out our campus cutie for Mental Health Awareness Week: Tyler Gowan.  This guy has everything going for him — he’s a model, actor, and a volunteer at a long term care facility.  He’s a first year, but this criminology Mustang has already mastered how to balance between work, school and volunteering.  For Mental Health Awareness Week, Tyler talks about how he deals with stress and why mental health awareness matters!  Read all about him below! 

Age: 18 

Year: 1st  

Program: Criminology

Hometown: London, Ontario 

Relationship Status: Taken

If you were on the Jimmy Fallon show, which segment would you want to be on?

“I would definitely have to be on the Lip Sync Battle. I may not be able to actually sing but I’m definitely a lot better at lip-syncing.”

What’s your Starbucks drink of choice?

“My obsession is definitely the White Chocolate Mocha! Words cannot describe how happy they make me…”

Who would you want to play you in a movie about your life?

“Josh Hutcherson. Mainly because I think he’s pretty awesome and we look somewhat alike… kind of… okay not really but hey, I still like him.”

What’s the best present you’ve ever received?

This is really hard because I’ve gotten a lot of great gifts over the years… but I once got a piece of wood that had a photo transferred onto it. It was of my best friends at the time and I cried a bit.”

Where’s your go-to place to study?

“My office in my house. It’s the only place I can get peace and quiet. Plus, I light some candles and it becomes a romantic night with me and my books.”

How do you deal with stress?  

“I deal with stress a couple of ways. I remember in high school, I would get so stressed out about school, friends and the world around me. It truly took a lot out of me, mentally and physically. I had to learn ways to release and relax. So I found that working out was one of the best ways. I could go, sweat out stress and relax after. Not only was I letting go of stress, I was getting a workout. It is a double purpose solution. My second way is just getting some friends together and laughing. Over time, you learn who your real friends are. They are the ones who love you unconditionally and are there for you when you need someone. These are the people who you call up a couple days before an exam and cry to. They are the ones who surprise you with random things to cheer you up. These people are an amazing way to deal with stress. So between working out and hanging out with friends, I’m able to manage my levels of stress. There’s definitely many other ways out there, but for me, these are the best I got.”

Why does mental health matter to you?  

“Mental health matters to me because everyone experiences mental health in some shape or form. Personally, I’ve had my own experiences like everyone else. Life just seems to lose track sometimes and can make someone feel alone and helpless. In situations like this, it’s important to know that you’re not alone and that there are people just like you going through the same thing.  What’s even more important is being able to reach out and have people to help you through these tough times. Nobody is perfect — thank you Hannah Montana — and there’s nothing wrong with that! Life with always have its ups and downs, but most important thing to remember: the sun will rise tomorrow and when it does, take on the day and leave yesterday in the past! Life is about over coming challenged and fighting through tough times, so mental health is very important to me. It’s life and it’s not always the easiest to take on alone. So being aware of others and reaching out to help is very important. Also not being afraid to reach out, because when the going gets tough, someone will be there to help you.”

What one song were you obsessed with in middle school?

I had a huge obsession with anything by Britney Spears.  I loved Womanizer though.”

What one skill do you wish you could master?

I want to be able to sing.  I still attempt at it all the time and always act surprised when I hear myself.  It’s like I think I’m better until I actually start singing.”

What’s the funniest movie moment you’ve ever seen?

The funniest movie moment is by far the one in The Proposal.  Sandra Bullock and Betty White are having a little chanting ceremony around a fire.  Sandra Bullock starts chanting my neck, my back… It’s comedy gold. “

What was your first MSN Username?

It hurts me to write this but ‘lilgowan13.’ It seemed like a great idea at the time…”

What’s your favourite cheesy pick-up line?  Have you ever used it on someone?

“Your daddy must have been a drug dealer because you’re dope” – That was in the song Top of The World by the Cataracs. Now the question of if I’ve ever used it, that’s a major no.”

What are the last 3 things you watched on Netflix?

Criminal Minds, Hemlock Grove and Breaking Bad.  I binge watched all of them…”

Favourites

Book: The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler 

Movie: The Conjuring 

Song: Hello by Adele 

Candy/Chocolate Bar: JuJubes 

Restaurant: The Black Trumpet 

TV Show: Criminal Minds 

Hey, I'm Elisa: 4th year Western Mustang and ardent movie nerd.  I love The Legend of Zelda, Star Wars and Wes Anderson.  I'm currently on a Doctor Who binge, been told that I'm quite good at Super Smash Bros, and have a deep connection with Tina Belcher from Bob's Burgers.
Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.