Campus Cutie: Lauren Sayers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Full Name: Lauren Sayers

Age: 21

Program and Year: Arts and Humanities, 4th year

Relationship Status: Single and ready to mingle

Hometown: Whitby, ON

What is the best experience you have had so far at Western?

Probably being a residence Soph in Saugeen in my second year. It was such a good experience being in a leadership role and actually helping people. I got so close with my frosh and I made lasting friendships.

What are some personal goals you hope to accomplish before you finish school?

Now that I’m in forth year I’m trying to accomplish all of the things I didn’t get a chance to do yet. I finally started writing for the Gazette, which I had wanted to do since first year. I finally joined the Arts council so I could get myself more involved in my faculty. I guess what I want to do before I graduate in April is get as many volunteer experiences in my field (writing/editing/publishing) as possible.

Do you have any plans for after graduation yet?

Already booked by ticket to Europe for the summer. I’m participating in a program called Woofing; which stands for Worldwide Opportunities in Organic Farming. You basically get to travel anywhere in the world you want, work on a far for a few decided upon hours of the day, and then get nights and weekends to explore the country further. You don’t get paid, but you get to live with the farmers for free and you get food for free. I’ll be staying at two different farms in Ireland in May, 1 farm in Scotland in June, and 1 farm in England in July.

Who is your favourite professor at Western?

Larry Garber! He was my professor during my third year in a very small writing workshop class. Everyone was super close in the class and we had so much fun giving each other feedback and reading each other’s work. Best class I’ll ever take.

What, if any, groups or clubs are you involved in at Western?

Right now I work for Western’s Off-Campus Advisors program, which is where students can get advice about lease, landlord, roommate related problems. We do a ton of volunteering around campus and the London community. Like I mentioned earlier I am a Gazette staff member, as well as being the Academic Managing Editor of the Arts council.

What is your favourite bar/ place to go out in London?

I mean I always have a great time at Ceeps, especially when they hand out those mini poutine cups, but I do love the Jacks dance floor, so it’s probably a toss up between those two.

What is your favourite place to get food in London or on campus?

168 sushi! I’m there at least 3 times a month. You get to order sushi on an iPad which is super fun, and you get tons of food for the price.

Tell me one thing about yourself that you think is odd or interesting.

A lot of people are surprised to know I’ve run 5 half marathons. I started running them when I was 15.

If you are not from London, how has moving away from home affected your relationships with friends or family?

I definitely noticed that I don’t talk to many high school friends anymore. I kind of have a small group of friends who I hang out with when we all go home for holidays, and aside from that I just spend as much time as possible with my family.

Cats or Dogs? Chose wisely.

Dogs obviously! I actually share my instagram account with my golden retriever puppy Lager. He gets more likes than me.

What advice would you give to a high school student about to apply to/ attend university?

Join as many groups/ activities/ teams as you can. You can never have enough experiences for your resume.

What advice would you give yourself if you could go back to O-week?

Spend it getting to know your floor better, not just hanging out with some guy you’ll never talk to again.

My name is Kenyon Born. I am in my fourth year at Western University, pursuing an Honours Specialization in English Language and Literature. I am a very guilty shopaholic and an OPI addict. I would wear high heels and full make-up every day if I had the time because dress-up is still my favourite game. My pet peeves are rude or inconsiderate people, drive-thrus and people who use elevators if they don't need them.
Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.