This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

For any Western student who’s spent a night or two on Richmond Row it’s highly likely you’ve met Nicole before; she’s a freelance photographer for The Ceeps, Cruel and an assortment of other entertainment companies. However, her media talents extend beyond nightlife to fashion as she interned this past summer for Elmer Olsen Model Management and assisted Indian wedding photographer Adnan Ansah. Presently, Nicole is the Media Director for the annual CAISA Fashion Show (https://www.facebook.com/caisafashionshow), in charge of orchestrating the event’s photography and videography.

Let’s take a look at the person behind the lens: Nicole De Khors.

Age: 21

Program: 4th Year Media Theory and Production (MTP): Television Broadcasting

Hometown: Mississauga, Ontario

Relationship Status: Single

How did you get involved in photography?

“I kind of just fell into it to be honest! I bought a camera for my program in second year – this little Canon Rebel. Then I saw all these entertainment companies posting all over the place and I was like ‘Oh, that looks cool! How do you get involved with that?’ So I sent out a bunch of emails and the first company to get back to me was CDN Entertainment. I did a kind of free trial with them and they ended up offering me the job! It’s miraculous because honestly my photos were really trash the time… Around a year later I ended up filming a school project on the roof of Ceeps, and met the owner of the bar. They were looking to get their own in house photographer and I’ve been working there ever since!”

What are the best and worst parts about being a nightlife photographer?

“Well obviously, it’s a ton of fun! Uhm speaking honestly from the “perks” point of view, I haven’t waited in line at a bar in… since second year – so I applaud everyone who does (let the jealousy ensue). I usually get free drinks (more jealousy) and all that stuff when I’m working, so my friends enjoy my tab every now and then. Also, when I can occasionally sneak my friends through the line they enjoy that – you would know (true story). It’s definitely a good time, sometimes you’re a bit of a promoter AND a photographer. However, at the end of the day I really just love it; the perks aren’t what motivate me to do it. I like that it’s something that I just kind of fell into and it’s been nice watching my skill level go up. You also get to have a whole bunch of cool experiences; I got to shoot Block Party this year and I’m shooting The Chainsmokers event this weekend!”

“There are definitely a few cons though. I mean everyone asks me how I do this job and honestly to be able to manage all of it, I don’t sleep very often. It gets super busy if I’m double booked and I end up running around trying to take photos at different places at key hours because honestly, it’s hard to make people look good after 1:30 am… they’re usually pretty trashed at that point (laughter)… On another note, I really love when people ask me to take their picture, but sometimes people get pretty aggressive – they definitely poke, a lot. I’ve had people pull/push me, and it actually took me a while to get to the point of feeling comfortable enough to tell people to back off.”

Out of all the projects you’ve worked on, which one has been your favourite?

“I don’t think I can think of one specific project… Well, I love Ceeps because it’s like my baby. Although I was not the first one to ever take pictures there, I was the first in house photographer – so I’ve definitely enjoyed watching The Ceeps page grow. I would say that my favourite event that I’ve ever worked on was probably Block Party as part of this year’s O-Week as a whole. It was crazy this year… kind of like going on safari. I would pack my lunch, cameras, and sunscreen because I’d leave the house to go to campus O-Week stuff in the morning, leave to shoot Block Party, head back to campus for O-Week events, and then go straight to Ceeps (wow). It was definitely the craziest week of my photography life!”

What has been your most memorable experience at Western so far?

“Oh my gosh… awhh it makes me sad to think about it because I’m leaving soon. I’d say one of the best choices I’ve made during my time at Western was joining the CAISA fashion show. Last year I was on the media team. The actual show was a whole day event, ending with us all going on stage to take a bow. So yea that show was probably my best Western related experience… and I get to do it again this year so yay!”

What are your thoughts on “selfies”?

“On selfies? (laughter ensues) Uhh…you know… I don’t take too many “selfies” myself – according to Instagram my last one was around 37 weeks ago. I used to take more selfies at the bar than I do now because I had a wider lens. I’m not going to lie… I’m not a big fan of how often people “selfie”. But you know what people are hot/people are pretty and if you feel like you’re looking good, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with showing it off a little bit. I think sometimes it’s a little excessive, but a good selfie every now and then is good for the ego – it makes you feel good.”

LIGHTNING ROUND!!! 

Dream Job?

“TV Producer or Vogue Photographer”

Favourite Movie?

Memoirs of a Geisha…I can recite like the whole script.”

Celebrity Crush?

“Ruby Rose and Marlon Brando… like a young Marlon Brando (agreed).”

Guilty Pleasure?

“Binge watching family guy when I should be doing work.”

What are things that you can’t live without?

“My best friends Vicky and Sam, my parents, and my camera.”

People who know you well know that…?

“I don’t like to do dishes…yea I hate dishes so much.”

Instagram, Facebook, Twitter or Snapchat?

“Instagram!”

What’s your current pre-drink jam?

“Make a Cake by Claude VonStroke – it’s so funny, it was like the song of my birthday!

Check out Nicole’s work on Instagram (@ndekhors) or her Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/NDKimages)!

Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.