This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Photo by Alexandra Gorska

This week’s campus celebrity is the talented Alexandra Gorska, the photographer who is responsible for the beautiful photo in our chapter banner! At only 22 years of age, this French major has created true art out of her amazing photography skills. A London native who holds a love for pizza and European dance music, Alexandra is aiming at a career in the photography industry as a wedding or fashion photographer. With one look at her photos, it’s no doubt that it won’t be long until these dreams become a reality.

Get to know a little more about Alexandra and her photography!

When did your interest in photography begin?

My interest in photography actually started when I began going to Western in September 2011, and I was pretty blown away by the beautiful scenery, and wanted a way to capture these scenic views. 

How much time do you have to invest in your photography?

Definitely not as much as I’d like! Between work, music practice, and all other commitments, there’s not much time to spare, but if I capture a nice sunset for instance, you can expect me to make time to edit it within hours, if not minutes. Usually I try to do at least one portrait session in my studio per week, whether I’m photographing a family, a pet, a baby, or even myself.

Photo by Alexandra Gorska

What has been your favourite shoot that you’ve held?

This one is definitely a tough one! I’ve tried many different kinds of photography (landscape, portraiture, events, weddings, real-estate etc.), and each shoot is different and unique. I love when I can pull together crazy hair and makeup on myself, and then photograph it myself (using a wireless camera trigger of course). It just makes me feel really accomplished when I am able to pull something of that type off independently. However, I do love to photograph other people. It’s just a really rewarding feeling being able to capture others’ special moments, and seeing their reactions when viewing the photos I have taken of them.

Have you ever been paid for your work or do you do it more as a hobby?

Of course. Even though it’s far from being a full-time job, I get a lot of inquiries to shoot portraits, events and headshots, and more for others. I have also sold prints, and usage rights to some of my landscape photos. However, I still love to take photos for the sake of art, whether or not I will be compensated for it.

Photo by Alexandra Gorska

What is the hardest part or your least favourite part about being a photographer?

I am always hesitant when it comes to taking a picture of a stranger, or when there is a stranger in a photo. I have yet to experience having someone furious walk up to me asking me to delete their photo, but I would really rather it not happen. Also, a lot of the time when working for others, people think that my editing process is as easy as “applying filter”, and unfortunately it’s a far more time-consuming process, which I need to further explain to them. 

On that note, what’s the best part about photographing?

Definitely too many to choose from… I get a lot of positive reactions when delivering finished photos to people, which is a pretty priceless feeling. I also really like how there are so many different things that factor into the creation of a nice photo, starting with composition, subject matter, and lighting, to the people you are working with, to the medium that is being used to take the photo, to the way a photo is edited, and developed. There’s just an endless scope of possibilities, so things never get boring.

Photo by Alexandra Gorska

Do you prefer to take pictures of people, yourself, landscapes, objects…?

Again, tough one, and here I would have to say that I really couldn’t choose. I love working with people, capturing candid, and staged photos of them, but I also enjoy having the option of that extra creative twist regarding styling, hair, makeup, and retouching I can do on my self-portraits. In addition to that, I love seeing a once normal-looking landscape turn into something that looks like it came from a fairytale when the sun is in the right place, when multiple exposures are combined, and when certain areas of the photo are selectively coloured, brightened, and darkened.

What kind of gear do you use?

This would definitely depend on the situation; on what gear I have on me at the moment, and what I would like to eventually do with the photo. Phone cameras have definitely evolved over the last few years, and despite their many limitations can be used to capture some pretty great photos. I don’t always carry a heavy DSLR everywhere I go, and so I can say I’ve captured some pretty nice pictures in the past few years using the same device I call people with. For more serious print-oriented photos I obviously use one of my two DSLRs, and one of my favorite lenses. I also own three film, manual focus SLR cameras, and a vintage Polaroid camera.

Among your works, which is your favourite and why? 

Again, it is always hard to choose, but my favorite photos are usually the ones I enjoy styling, shooting, and editing the most. With that said, I would probably say it was the one photo I took of my sister taking a bath in a bathtub-full of pizza. The leftover prop-turned snack made the editing process very worthwhile and enjoyable. 

Photo by Alexandra Gorska

How do you educate yourself to take better photos?

Practice, practice, and more practice. And if your photos still don’t look the way you want them, there’s probably a YoTube tutorial on that…

Whose work inspires or influences you?

I would definitely never copy anyone’s personal style, as I feel like I have my own, however there are many different very well-renowned photographers whom I admire and follow using social media. Some are natural light portrait photographers, others are fashion photographers, and others are retouchers. I definitely draw a lot of inspiration from their photographing techniques.

What is one thing you wish you had known when you started taking photos?

Good equipment is important, but ideas, lighting, subject matter and composition are even more important, so don’t let your lack of top-notch photo gear limit what you think you can do!

Photo by Alexandra Gorska

To check out more of Alexandra’s creative work, check out her Facebook page and her Instagram profile

Alexie is a graduate from The University of Western Ontario where she majored in English and minored in both Writing and Anthropology. She is now a graduate student at Western, where she is completing a Masters of Media in Journalism and Communications. Reality TV junkie and social media addict (follow her on instagram: @alexie_elisa and twitter: @AlexieRE_Evans), Alexie is ecstatic to be on the alum team of HC Western Ontario after loving being the campus correpondent in her undergrad!