8 Signs That Your Roommate Is Also Your Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Over the course of our careers, university students deal with a lot: we deal with choosing courses we love and maybe taking a course we hate, we deal with the stress of putting off assignments and studying at the last minute, and, of course, we deal with roommates.

Maybe you live at home and the only “roommate” you’ve ever had is your dog. Or, maybe you live away from home but you’ve always lived on your own. Both are great options if that’s the life you’ve chosen. But for me? I love living away from home and with friends.

For the past two years, I’ve been lucky enough to live with my best friends and even more lucky to still get along with them (because we all know it can get hard sometimes). And over the past two years I’ve recognized some roomie moments that we only experienced because we’re best friends. Here are some of the moments that prove your roommate is also your best friend:

1. They cook their dinner…but bring you a fork too.

Friends will ask if you want to try their food. Best friends will just bring the cutlery and extra bowl without even asking.

2. Your clothes are hanging in their closet.

The concept of sharing doesn’t stop at food. If you think you lost your new shirt in the wash or at someone’s house, try searching your roommate’s room. Chances are it’s lying on their “clothes chair” (or hanging in the closet if they’re really nice).

3. You each have your own bed…but the sleepovers don’t end.

Even though you each may have your own room and your own bed, sometimes sleeping by yourself is lonely.

4. When they order late-night pizza and get you extra sauce without asking.

Your best friend will know that you’ll want a slice, but more importantly that you’ll want your own personal sauce too.

5. They know when you’ve been messaging your crush.

They don’t have to ask, they can just sense it when you’re smiling and cleaning the entire house. No one smiles and cleans.

6. … But they know when you’ve been messaging your ex too.

Why else would you keep putting your phone face down on the table?

7. When they save you a spot at the library at your favourite spot.

They know you’ll end up at Weldon at some point. And they also know exactly which cubicle you love.

8. You can yell at them about the mess and you know it won’t start World War 3.

Some friends you can’t be brutally honest with because you don’t think you’re that close. So when they make a mess in the kitchen, you keep your comments to yourself and clean it up. When your roommate is your best friend, you can tell them exactly how messy they are without worrying if your friendship will be awkward after.