7 WOC Instagrammers to Follow in 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Traditional media has been slow on the roll when it comes to diversity. However, social media has the ability to connect us to a variety of people of different races, sizes and backgrounds.  We all need a little more representation in our lives, so here’s a list of seven women of colour slaying the social media game. This is only a small selection of Instagrammers, and with a little exploring we’re sure you can find so many more!

1. Babeo Baggins (@babeobaggins)

As a self-proclaimed cowboy and genderfluid, non-binary musician, their feed is sure to inspire you to defy every box society places you in. In the mood for some new tunes? Take a peep at their ever-changing beats on soundcloud and show some support over on their bandcamp. Their recent album Posi+ive is sure to leave you both caught up in your feelings and ready to stunt on the entire world – not to mention its take on heavy topics like gender identity.

Don’t forget to check out their collab with the 6ix’s very own here.

2. Diana Veras (@mynamesdiana)

Maybe you’ve spotted her modeling on one of Aerie’s storefronts this winter in their body-positive advertising campaign without even realizing it! Shunning traditional beauty standards, Diana uses her feed to unabashedly express who she is and what she stands for – especially in a beauty industry that continuously ignores the plus-sized community.

3. Kiera Please (@kieraplease)

If you love seeing black girls cosplay and need a little bit of style inspiration, Kiera’s Instagram is a must-follow. Taking on the world one smile at a time, her feed is a breath of fresh air in a very filtered world as she openly discusses social media’s authenticity, insecurities and other relevant issues. You can also find her on YouTube.

4. Krissy Kakess (@krissykakess)

The ultimate definition of black girl magic! Krissy’s feed gives us major style and makeup inspiration. If you’re looking for some natural hair inspiration, she’s definitely the girl to check out. You can also check out her hair reviews and tutorials on her YouTube channel.

5. Stacey (@hantisedeloubli)

Stacey’s Instagram stands as a call to be an unapologetic version of yourself. Defying all stereotypes, she speaks out openly about being body positive in a world that constantly mocks the body positive movement. From her outstanding makeup to her iconic style, Stacey makes sure to slay her own way.

6. Samah Ali (@sistersamah)

We couldn’t leave out one of Western University’s very own! In between editing for The Gazette’s Arts and Lifestyle section and OPENWIDE, Samah’s turning heads over on Instagram with style and humour. Don’t forget to check out her recent production, hyphen-nation, which tackles the topic of cultural identity as a black woman in Canada.  

7. Michelle Moe (@michellemoe)

Moe’s striking photography and out-of-the-box makeup skills turns her feed into a personal art show. She also produces her own line of handmade chokers, jewelry, harnesses, and much more. You can also find her on YouTube for stunningly produced makeup tutorials.

Between doing YouTube and makeup, I also study psychology, sociology, and digital communications at Western University! Currently in my fourth year and a constant in a state of anxiety about the future but I try not to think about it a lot. Originally from Trinidad and Tobago, I'm currently doing my best to absorb the Canadian maple leaf into both my body and soul. I love horror movies, video games, and sleeping. Fun fact – The Beatles may or may not have written a song about me.
Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.