This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Tall, short, thin, curvy, disproportionate — these six ladies show just how diverse beauty can be and that what you perceive as “flaws” make you just that more gorgeous and wonderful.

Chantelle Brown-Young or Winnie Harlow

Chantelle Brown-Young, who now goes by Winnie Harlow, was first launched into her modeling career when she was discovered by Tyra Banks and competed on America’s Next Top Model. Winnie was diagnosed with a rare skin condition called vitiligo when she was four years old, which causes white patches to appear on the skin. Getting teased growing up, Winnie said she told herself that she was beautiful until she finally believed it herself. 

@winnieharlow 

Iskra Lawrence

Iskra Lawrence is a woman who knows that if you’ve got it, flaunt it. Iskra was initially dropped by a modeling agency who told her her hips were too big. She was sent to plus-size agencies, who then told her she was too small. Naturally curvy, Aerie model Iskra now not only loves her body but treats it well so that she’s the healthiest she can be. Iskra says that she has a very respectful relationship with working out, but doesn’t aim to look like a supermodel. “You can’t alter who you are, or your body shape”, she writes on Runway Riot, where she is the managing editor. “But you can be fitter and stronger. As soon as I changed why I was working out, I started creating healthy obtainable goals and challenging myself to improve, not for anyone else.” 

@iamiskra 

Molly Bair

Molly Bair’s unusual facial features — which dubbed her to be called a “praying mantis” or “alien” — are what sprung her into success in the high fashion industry. Molly celebrates her non-stereotypical look, and says she’s embracing “that alien-rat-demon-goblin-gemlin sort of vibe.”  Molly enjoys the look of herself without makeup — her favourite shot of herself is makeup-less on the cover of Dazed — and has come to embrace the uni-brow that she rocks. She also says that she “really likes people’s imperfections — that, to me, is really interesting. I like pimples and things like that.” 

@molllsbair

Leah Kelley

Leah Kelley’s story is one that we don’t often hear of in the fashion world. We usually hear of models being told to lose weight, however in Leah’s case, she was forced to gain weight to make it in the plus-sized modeling industry. Despite her professional success and loving the way she looked as a plus-sized model, Leah felt unwell and noticed a lot of of health problems developing. She decided to take control of her own body and not listen to what she should look like. Now, Leah says she is “the healthiest version of ‘me’ I have ever been.” [Leah, props to you for kicking a** and being the best — and realest — you!

@leahkelley  

Tess Holiday

Dubbed the “world’s first size-22 supermodel”, Tess Holiday is altering the way we see the “perfect” body. Not only is she a fashion designer and model, but Tess also leads the #EffYourBeautyStandards movement which promotes embracing the body you have and being unapologetic about it. Tess created the hashtag because she says she was tired of being told what not to wear. “I decided eff that, I will wear what I want!”

Ashley Graham

Ashley Graham is the embodiment of the phrase “strong is sexy.” She has been a part of many major body positivity campaigns, including Sports Illustrated SwimsuitsForAll. In a statement, Ashley says that she knows her curves are sexy, “and I want everyone else to know that theirs are, too. There is no reason to hide and every reason to flaunt.” Ashley also has her own successful plus-size lingerie line.

@theashleygraham

Alexie is a graduate from The University of Western Ontario where she majored in English and minored in both Writing and Anthropology. She is now a graduate student at Western, where she is completing a Masters of Media in Journalism and Communications. Reality TV junkie and social media addict (follow her on instagram: @alexie_elisa and twitter: @AlexieRE_Evans), Alexie is ecstatic to be on the alum team of HC Western Ontario after loving being the campus correpondent in her undergrad!
Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.