6 Fun (And Almost Free) Fall Activities for the Basic Girl in All of Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

This is for all the basic girls out there. You know her well, you’ve seen her around campus, wearing leggings and UGG boots, carrying disposable Starbucks cups filled to the brim with liquid pumpkin pie, a Michael Kors or Marc Jacob’s slung over her shoulder. Perhaps you’ve seen her at Bath and Body Works (one of our favourite gathering spots) loading gallons of pumpkin spice body wash into her basket. Maybe you are one yourself, and if so, don’t be ashamed. Embrace it, but please resist the urge to ingest the aforementioned body wash and try to remember a few of the other things about this time of year that make fall so special. 

Below I have compiled a list of five lovely fall activity ideas that make this time of year one of the closest to our hearts. Will these activities keep you as basic as ever before? Yes. Will they make great Instagram worthy uploads? Definitely. Use a Valencia or Walden filter where permitting. 

1. Go Apple Picking: There’s a cute farm about twenty minutes from London called Apple Land Station. This is a totally economical, fun, outdoorsy activity that will give you your daily dose of physical activity and Vitamin D. Throw on a cute knit sweater and fill your basket to the brim for no more than twenty dollars. Yes you will have an abundance of apples coming out your Yin Yang, but all the more reason to try out those trendy Pinterest recipes you’ve been saving to your food board. And you know what they say; an apple a day keeps the doctor away. For more information check out their website.

2. Carve a Pumpkin: Go to your local grocery store, buy a pumpkin and carve it! Sometimes in neighbourhoods overrun by students, it’s easy to forget about the tiny accents that make October such a special season. Think back to your childhood: I bet images of carved pumpkins guarding the neighbourhood doorsteps come to mind. Make it a fun night in with your roommates and carve a cool design or facial expression. Don’t forget to roast the seeds!

3. Get Out and Explore: Go for a nature walk. London isn’t called the Forest City for nothing. There are tons of scenic trails all over the city, and with all the changing leaves and sunny weather we’ve been having recently, October is the perfect time to get out and get some fresh air. Bring some friends along!

4. Act Silly: Unleash your inner kid and jump in a pile of leaves. Not only will you be tidying up your lawn, but who says we are too old to play around? Not feeling overly juvenile? Spike your warm latte of choice with a little “cheer” and I think you’ll be singing a different tune. 

5. Crafts: With the cooler weather approaching, fire up the kettle and settle down at your kitchen table to make some fall inspired crafts. Collect pinecones and leaves to make wreaths for your front doors or perhaps some cute Thanksgiving cards to hand out to your friends and family over the holidays. Some cool Autumn craft ideas involving mason jars can be found at this link.

6. Help Those Less Fortunate: Clean out your cupboards and donate. Thanksgiving is Fall’s trademark holiday; a time to reflect on all of the people and things in our lives that we are so thankful for. It is also the time to recognize and appreciate all that we have, and to understand that many people are not as fortunate as we are. Go through your cupboards and donate any non-perishable food items that you can spare to help make someone else’s holiday as joyous as your own. There is even a food bank on the Western Campus. What better way to help out our fellow peers. For more information on how to access or donate to the food bank please check out The USC Food Support Service.

Alexie is a graduate from The University of Western Ontario where she majored in English and minored in both Writing and Anthropology. She is now a graduate student at Western, where she is completing a Masters of Media in Journalism and Communications. Reality TV junkie and social media addict (follow her on instagram: @alexie_elisa and twitter: @AlexieRE_Evans), Alexie is ecstatic to be on the alum team of HC Western Ontario after loving being the campus correpondent in her undergrad!