A08C6639 3A64 4906 88F5 47397723DEBBjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
A08C6639 3A64 4906 88F5 47397723DEBBjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Sofia Gonzalez
Style

5 Ways To Dress Up A Sweatsuit Set

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

If you’re forced to leave the house, but don’t want to look like you just rolled out of bed, there are a few ways to hop on the sweatsuit trend and still look stylish. Whether you are grocery shopping or on a nature walk, being comfy yet cute has been made easier with Instagram-inspired looks. Making an effort to feel (and look) your best has only gotten more difficult under lockdown. If you’re in one of the areas with tighter restrictions right now, feeling cute may be the last thing on your mind while doing necessary errands at essential stores. Considering the stress we’re all under, you shouldn’t have to go through the hassle of picking a stylish outfit just to go to one store. It’s much more convenient to dress up what you feel comfortable in—even if you’ve reserved it in the ‘quarantine’ clothing group.

1. Wear black shades

Hailey Bieber is a fashion icon when it comes to quarantine streetwear. She uses  black sunglasses to complement her more everyday looks: it adds an extra edgy vibe to any dressed down outfit. As a bonus, you won’t have to wear a lot of eye makeup to look and feel chic.

2. Wear a long puffer coat

Especially helpful in the winter months, wearing a puffer coat on top of your sweatsuit gives off a modern vibe. Many Aritzia models are promoting this layered look; if you don’t already have one of these elongated coats, a cheaper alternative is Dynamite, an Aritzia dupe. Investing in a long winter coat is more than worth it: not only will it keep you warm all winter long, but it ensures that even your winter wear is fashionable.  

3. Layer with a blazer 

A blazer layered on top of a matching sweatsuit set is trending right now. The hood popping out at the back of the blazer is aesthetically pleasing: it can tie a whole outfit together. The look is comfy yet classy at the same time—you can’t beat it with any other outfit. Blazers often feel a little more dressed up, in contrast to sweats. You can add to the vibe by wearing a swatch of mascara to tie it in to your current look.

4. Wear gold earrings that hug your ear lobe

This subtle addition to your outfit is perfect for everyday wear, upscaling even sweats. These earrings are currently in style: various influencers have been wearing them. You can also accent with gold jewelry to match your earrings to complete the outfit. 

A tip: put your hair in a slicked-back bun or ponytail to expose your earrings. Take pride in showing them off as a staple piece in your outfit. Having your hairline slicked back always gives off a classy look. To get those little baby hairs out of the way, you can use a clear eyebrow gel brush to simply move them to where you prefer them to be. Spray some hairspray on the flyaways, and you’re good to go.

5. Wear a little purse around your shoulder

This trend is another staple in current wardrobes, adding a girly flair to your matching set. Better yet, you can pick a bold or patterned bag to add a splash of colour or to contrast your outfit. For example, if you’re wearing a dark brown set, you can wear a white purse to boldly stand out. When in doubt, you can never go wrong with a black bag: it matches literally everything and adds a professional touch.

Having a matching sweatsuit set and a matching set of accessories brings your outfit to the next level. It makes you feel put together even if you don’t take as long to get ready like you used to. Accessorize away!  

These sweatsuit outfit trends are a casual way to spice up your style, and definitely encourages some showing off––especially on Instagram.