5 Things to Consider Besides the Paycheck When Picking a Career

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Whether you are on the hunt for a summer internship or making your way into full-time employment, the number of zeroes you can get on your paycheck is probably one of the first things that pops into your mind when considering a job offer. Financial concerns carry a considerable weight for most people when making career decisions—unless, that is, you’re a Kardashian. All jokes aside, it’s worthwhile to give thought to some non-monetary factors before sealing the deal with your employer. After all, no matter how enticing the pay is, no one likes to be stuck with an exhausting, soul-sucking nine to five gig. Read on for five things you should look out for when deciding if a job is truly a good fit for you.

1. Career goals

Find a job that can help you achieve your career ambitions. While not everyone can be lucky enough to turn their side hobbies and passion projects into profitable careers, you’re most likely able to get the same satisfaction from working in a role that fulfills your career objectives. Having a job that aligns with your professional goals encourages a positive attitude towards work and, more importantly, acts as a driving force that pushes you through the monotony of everyday grind—because let’s be real, even if you have successfully landed your dream job, there are bound to be aspects of your work life that you wish you could just skip over.

2. Values

Work for an organization that aligns with your morals and shares your vision. Lucky for us, we now live in an exciting time when companies are starting to pay more attention to corporate social responsibilities and learning to develop sustainable business models, leaving us with plenty of options to pick from.

3. Company culture

Your compatibility with the organizational culture determines everything from your ability to get along with co-workers to your success within the company. It is important to seek a work environment that fits your personality type. I, for one, value workplace diversity and love working with people who come from different backgrounds. I also thrive in a friendly, laid-back start-up environment where less emphasis is placed on formalities. Fun fact: I’ve worked at an office where my co-worker casually walked around the office in her socks! My point being, know what your working style is and swipe right to the company that matches it.

4. Working hours

Some people love having flexible hours and non-traditional work schedules that give them more say over how their days are organized. If this sounds like you, entrepreneurship and freelancing may be the perfect jobs for you. For others, sticking to a standard work week provides them with more structure around how they work and takes the stress out of having to plan for something new every single day. Know what your work style is and pick a career that is in tune with it.

5. Ownership over your work

A high degree of creative autonomy typically lends itself to greater job satisfaction. When you are allowed the freedom to make decisions about your tasks or given the opportunity to lead a project, you tend to feel more motivated to complete your duties to the best of your ability. After all, nothing beats the sweet satisfaction of seeing your vision come to life and being able to say that you are responsible for turning it into reality.

When you’re first starting out your career after school, you may find yourself stuck with a less-than-ideal gig for a while just to be able to afford rent and pay off your student debt, and that’s totally fine! When you eventually get to the point where you can be pickier about the jobs you choose, bear in mind that there’s more to work than the dollar sign. The job with the better pay is not necessarily the one that suits you the most.