This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

You’re finally done with exams and are looking forward to a little bit of freedom over the holidays. But, with Ontario shutting down for its second lockdown, your activity options are limited. Why not take this chance to binge some shows that you missed out on while you were studying? Here’s a list of five must-watch Netflix series during the holiday lockdown:

1. The Queen’s Gambit

Portraying an orphan turned chess champion, Anya Taylor-Joy’s performance as fictional chess prodigy Beth Harmon will have you glued to your screen from the first pawn move to checkmate. Based on Walter Tevis’ novel of the same name, this seven-episode series is a triumph on many levels. From Beth’s 60s fashion flare to the retro sets, The Queen’s Gambit takes you back in time to an era much different for women than today. Given the context, it’s mesmerising how Beth turns her hobby into a career as a world champion in the male-dominated world of chess. The Queen’s Gambit triumphs the power of a woman who has the odds stacked against her.

2. Tiny Pretty Things

Black Swan meets Pretty Little Liars in this drama-packed Netflix series. It follows the world of an elite ballet school, charting the rise and fall of its students. These young adults live far from their homes, each standing on the verge of greatness or ruin. The series tackles many sensitive issues on a personal and institutional level, including racism, body image and bullying. With its diverse cast, each character plays into certain stereotypes but their differences help create individuality in the series. Furthermore, Tiny Pretty Things attempts to tell a story from a perspective we don’t often see in ballet narratives, specifically from people of colour. The competition and the relationships made and broken makes for a thrilling watch that is perfect for binge-watchers. 

3. The Sinner 

If you are into crime dramas, The Sinner is just for you. The series follows Detective Harry Ambrose as he investigates various murder cases, trying to analyse the reasons behind seemingly ordinary people committing heinous, out-of-character crimes. Each season is its own case, unfolding through well-built, detailed storylines. The twists and turns will have you on the edge of your seat!

4. The Crown

A Netflix original series, The Crown follows Queen Elizabeth II, a 25-year-old newlywed faced with the daunting prospect of leading the world’s most famous monarchy. With the British Empire in decline and the political world is in disarray, a young woman takes the throne. The trials and triumphs faced by young Elizabeth are portrayed fairly close to the real Queen’s history. This show isn’t limited to a distant time period however: season 4 was released in early November, introducing the legendary Margaret Thatcher and Princess Diana to the series. If there is any time to catch up on the show, it is now! 

5. Workin’ Moms

In the mood for a little comedy? Workin’ Moms is just for you! Set in modern day Toronto, four very different thirty-something working mothers try to balance their jobs, family life and love life. They support, challenge and try not to judge each other as life throws them curveballs. Whether it’s an identity crisis, a huge job opportunity, postpartum depression or an unplanned pregnancy they’re facing, these women deal with the good and bad of every situation with grace and humour. This sitcom will definitely boost your spirits this lockdown!

Happy binge watching!