5 Reasons Justin Baldoni Should Have Been “Sexiest Man of 2017″

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Before you judge me, I know the title of this article is ridiculous. Sexiest-anything “of the year” is an absurd title and, as such, should mean absolutely nothing. But the tabloids are not stopping anytime soon, and if anyone had to take that title home it should have been our boy, Justin Baldoni.

Most well-known for his role as Rafael Solano in The CW’s Jane the Virgin, actor and director Justin Baldoni is shaking things up in Hollywood. Baldoni’s TED Talk, “Why I’m done trying to be ‘man enough,” is honest and enlightening. He talks about the struggles he faced forming his own identity and pursuing his career amid gender expectations and stereotypes. Baldoni also launched Man Enough, a series dedicated to bringing men in Hollywood together to discuss what it means to be a man in the 21st century.

I was really intrigued by discussions around masculinity after viewing The Mask You Live In, produced by The Representation Project, a Netflix documentary that delves into the real-life struggles of Western boys and men. It’s important to encourage and facilitate feminist discussion in general, but especially among men. Justin Baldoni notes that men need to acknowledge the issues that plague them specifically. Contrary to popular belief, men are also negatively impacted by gender roles and expectations. Baldoni appears to be the picture-perfect image of stereotypical masculinity: he is tall, muscular, handsome, he has a perfect smile and suspiciously perfect abs. He has been honest about his disappointment about being offered one-dimensional roles throughout his career, and expresses his interest in sparking honest dialogue between men in Hollywood, and hopefully men everywhere.

Here are five reasons Justin Baldoni should have been the “Sexiest Man of the Year”:

1. He is an outspoken, proud feminist.

As I mentioned earlier, I think it’s incredibly important for men to engage in feminist discussion with their peers and the women in their lives. Justin Baldoni is unapologetic about his commitment to feminism and is unwavering as an advocate. He uses his Instagram to consistently post content inviting men and women to participate in meaningful discussions. He is aware of the importance of intersectionality, and he continually lifts women up and offers support for men.

2. His TED Talk, “Why I’m done trying to be man enough,” is honest, funny, and important.

TED Talks are well-known to be inspiring and this one is no different. Baldoni’s passion for shedding light on masculinity is clear throughout. He isn’t whiny, egotistic, or obnoxious. He’s just honest. He talks about his experience in Hollywood: he discusses his feelings about being a man and about what it means to be a man in today’s world. He expresses his wish to reach a male audience in an approachable way, and this TED Talk is only the start. Ironically, he gave the speech at TEDWomen 2017, so it might be off to a rough start, but I believe he’ll get there.

3. He started an online series and website called Man Enough to have open discussions with men in Hollywood about masculinity.

In this series, Baldoni hopes to tackle issues surrounding body image, fatherhood, dating, relationships and more. He launched the series online through his own production company, Wayfarer. By distributing the episodes online, the series is accessible to a wider audience. It is a crucial time to have conversations about masculinity, and Baldoni is not shying away from the reality check that Hollywood is facing. His hope is to build a safe space for men to have conversations that they aren’t, but should be, having. 

4. His Instagram.

Justin Baldoni’s Instagram page is shining light on the (often) dark space of social media. His main message is about spreading positivity and hope. He openly expresses his adoration for his wife, Emily Baldoni, and their ADORABLE children, Maia and Maxwell. It’s so refreshing to see a male celebrity who openly discuss his feelings, anxieties and hardships as he navigates marriage, fatherhood and his career in Hollywood. I never get tired of his heartfelt captions, genuine stories, and precious family. At the risk of becoming as invested as I am, follow Justin and Emily! You won’t regret it.

5. His character on Jane the Virgin.

Finally, Baldoni’s character on Jane the Virgin is definitely “Sexiest Man of the Year” material. Rafael Solano starts the series as an arrogant, macho womanizer but (thank the TV gods) his character develops into a much more nuanced, likable one over the course of the first four seasons. Rafael is committed to his family, head-over-heels in love with his children, and supportive of the women in his life. He fosters positive relationships with those around him, and when challenges arise, he tackles them with respect, compassion, and tact (mostly… it is a drama, after all).

Justin Baldoni exemplifies healthy masculinity in many ways, and I’m so glad that he has a platform to express himself. Baldoni reaffirms that “celebrity” can be worth something more than money and fame. He has the potential to reach a global community and I only hope he achieves bigger things in the years to come.

Jessica Granofsky, HCWO's 2017-2018 Sponsorship Manager, is a fourth year student at Western University studying Media, Information, and Technoculture. She loves her cat, Olaf, more than anything in the world and is a strong advocate for cats in the Cat vs. Dog debate.
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.