5 BookTok Novels You Need to Read Immediately

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

If you’re on the app TikTok, chances are you’ve probably stumbled across “BookTok” – a subsection  of the platform that is primarily focused on all things books, including book recommendations and literature. Even if you’re not a huge reader, you might want to give some of these popular recommendations a try! 

1. “It Ends With Us” by Colleen Hoover

Sensitive topics: Please be advised of the trigger warnings for this book.

Genre: Fiction, New Adult Contemporary Romance

My rating: 5/5

This book has been blowing up on TikTok and is probably one of Hoover’s best books to date. It is an absolute emotional rollercoaster and will have you bawling your eyes out! If you love a good contemporary romance novel, this book is perfect for you. It follows the journey of Lily Bloom, including her  coming to terms with her trauma and her budding new relationship with a neurosurgeon named Ryle Kincaid, who she meets one night on a rooftop. However, she’s still reminiscent of her past teen love, Atlas Corrigan. When things are going well with Ryle, Atlas appears unexpectedly, and Lily’s left to make a decision that could change the course of her life. 

2. “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo” by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Genre: Historical Fiction, Romance

My rating: 5/5

“The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo” is one of those books that everyone must read at least once. It tells the story of Hollywood icon, Evelyn Hugo, and the price she had to pay for fame and success. Present day Evelyn recruits a young unknown journalist named Monique Grant, who seems to be clueless as to why Evelyn would request her out of all people at her well-known magazine company. Regardless, she meets with Evelyn and is asked to write her life story, from the very first husband to the seventh, and every life event in between. Monique is fascinated to find that Evelyn is more human than she seems, under that star-like persona. What she doesn’t know is that Evelyn chose her specifically because their lives overlap in a way that will truly shock her.

3. “November 9” by Colleen Hoover

Genre: Fiction, Young Adult/New Adult Contemporary Romance

My rating: 4.5/5

Another one by Colleen Hoover, it’s an absolute must read! You won’t be able to put this one down! This book is about eighteen year old Fallon O’Neill, an actress looking to get work after a tragic incident, and Ben Kessler, a college student and aspiring author. They meet in a rather unusual way, but bond almost instantaneously. Unfortunately, Fallon is moving to New York the day she meets Ben. This undoubtedly makes it difficult to pursue a relationship, in addition to the fact that they’ve only known each other for a few hours, but have undeniable chemistry. So, they decide to meet on the same date every year for the next five years, November 9, with no other forms of communication in between. Fallon encourages Ben to use their experience to write his novel, only she doesn’t know the whole truth about Ben and his involvement in her life. You will not be prepared for the plot twist! 

4. “They Both Die at the End” by Adam Silvera

Genre: Fiction, Young Adult, Fantasy, Queer Romance 

My rating: 4/5

“They Both Die at the End” is a tragic yet beautiful story about two teenage boys who become each other’s last friend. In this world, an organization called “Death Cast” calls people on the day they’re going to die to notify them. People who receive the call are referred to as “Deckers” and have the chance to live their life to the fullest before it comes to an end on that very same day, at any given moment. 18 year old Mateo and 17 year old Rufus, both deckers, find each other through the “Last Friend” app and spend the day together, making memories and connecting with one another, before their journeys come to an end. They encourage each other to experience things and form an unexpected yet amazing friendship. The story revolves around friendship, romance, and living in the moment.

5. “Ugly Love” by Colleen Hoover

My rating: 5/5

Yet another amazing read by Colleen Hoover; it will absolutely destroy you but will also have you crying tears of joy by the end! “Ugly Love” is heart-wrenching and beautiful all at once. Tate Collins, a young nurse pursuing her Masters, moves into her brother’s apartment until she’s able to find her own. There, she is met by her brother’s oddly closed-off friend/coworker, Miles Archer, who also happens to be their neighbour. She’s intrigued by Miles and wants to know more, but Miles is reluctant to open up to her because of his past trauma. There is clearly something between Miles and Tate, but their relationship revolves around two rules: “never ask about the past, and don’t expect a future.” As the book progresses, Miles’ heartbreaking history and the reason he refuses to love is uncovered.

Simran Khalsa

Western '24

Simran is a second year student at Western University pursuing a major in Political Science. She enjoys coffee, binging Netflix (loves New Girl), and spontaneous adventures! In her free time, she tutors elementary and high school students, likes to learn new hobbies, and she loves spending time with her family and friends. Simran is passionate about women's rights on a global scale and is excited to work alongside her peers to help empower young women through the Her Campus platform!