Mirepoix
Mirepoix
Shun Matsuhashi / Spoon
Wellness > Health

3 Simple and Cozy Crockpot Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

One of my best investments in life has been my six-quart Hamilton Beach crockpot. Crockpots/slow cookers are so handy because they’re easy to use, leave you with a week of meal prep, and are ready by the time you get home from your evening class. As a student, my crockpot has been a lifesaver. I have made everything from clotted cream to Super Bowl chili to beef dip sandwiches. And today, I am sharing three full-proof, easy-peasy, delicious recipes to make in your slow cooker. 

1. Nonna’s Minestrone

This recipe is a classic take on my Nonna’s homemade minestrone, but instead of boiling it on the stovetop, we’re cooking it in a crockpot. Minestrone is great because you can easily substitute a few ingredients to make it a vegan dish that will still make you feel warm and cozy. It’s also the perfect meal when you don’t know what to cook. And it’s great if you have a bunch of veggies in your fridge that are about to go bad since you can throw in any vegetable. With that said, here are my favourite veggies to throw in even though you can add borlotti beans, broccoli, and cabbage as well.

Ingredients:

• Chicken broth (substitute for water for a vegan option)
  • 4-5 Gold or yellow potatoes 
  • Swiss chard 
  • 2 Tomatoes or a small jar of plain tomato sauce 
  • 4 Carrots
  • 1 Pack of brussel sprouts
  • ½ Yellow onion
  • 2 tbsp of olive oil 
  • Parmesan cheese with the rind (omit for a vegan dish)
  • White rice or pastina 
  • Salt & pepper 

Instructions:

Dice your onion and chop up all the vegetables; add them to the crockpot. Fill the crockpot to the top with either chicken broth or water and don’t forget the olive oil. Add the parmesan rind on top so that it doesn’t sink and stick to the bottom. Then add salt and pepper to taste. Cook on high for 4-5 hours. In the last ten minutes before your minestrone is done, cook either rice or pastina on the stove to add to your dish. Remove the rind from the crockpot. Ladle your minestrone and rice/pastina into a bowl and top with some grated parmesan cheese. Buon appetito! 

2. Beef and Barley Stew

Hardy, delicious, and a sure way to warm you right up, beef and barley stew has been a go-to crockpot staple for me over the past few years. There are no words to describe how delicious this stew is. It’s easy to make and incredibly satisfying, not to mention one of the best things to eat on a cold winter’s day.

Ingredients:

• 4-5 Gold or yellow potatoes 
  • 1 Yellow onion
  • 4 Carrots
  • 3 Stalks of celery or leeks
  • 1 Package of cremini mushrooms 
  • 1 Family value size pack of cubed stewing beef
  • Beef broth
  • 1 Cup of pearl barley 
  • 1 tbsp of soy sauce 
  • 1 tbsp spoon of Worcestershire sauce 
  • Thyme
  • Rosemary 
  • Salt & pepper
  • 1 Cup of red wine (optional)

Instructions:

Dice your onion and chop up all the vegetables and add them to the crockpot. Add the barley, beef, and sauces. Fill the crockpot to the top with some beef broth and the red wine. Then add the herbs and salt and pepper to taste. Mix all together. Set on high for 6 hours. Absolute chef’s kiss! 

3. Pulled Pork Sandwiches 

These super simple pulled pork sandwiches are not only crowd pleasers, but they will have your mouth watering the entire time they’re slowly cooking in your crockpot. Great for on your own or when you need to feed a group of friends, these tasty sandwiches will not disappoint!

Ingredients:

• 1 Pork shoulder (around 4 lbs)
  • 2 bottles of Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce 
  • ½ Cup apple cider vinegar 
  • ¼ Cup brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp mustard (yellow or dijon) 
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce 
  • 1 Large yellow onion (chopped)
  • 8 Buns (I prefer Brioche)
  • Sriracha 
  • Salt & pepper

Instructions:

Combine all the ingredients into the crockpot, rubbing them onto the pork shoulder. Cook on high for 5-6 hours or until the roast shreds easily with a fork. You can also turn the roast over in the crockpot halfway through its cooking time if you’d like. Once cooked, drain most of the leftover juices. Add the second bottle of BBQ sauce, mixing and shredding the meat with two forks. Place the shredded pork onto the bun and add some sriracha (bonus points for adding coleslaw). And voilà! A super easy, delicious pulled pork sandwich that will leave you satisfied. 

There you have it, folks! 3 simple and cozy crockpot recipes that are sure to get you through our cold Canadian weather and stressful exam seasons. I have definitely gotten my money’s worth on my crockpot, especially when you can enjoy recipes as easy as these three. I have saved time, energy, and money on food and meal prep without sacrificing flavour. If you’re in need of a homemade, easy, and delicious meal, then you have to try these recipes. Enjoy!

Nicole is an Arts and Humanities Western alumna who graduated with a BA (Hons) in English, Women's Studies, and Italian. She is currently a Western MA student in Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies. When she is not writing essays or fulfilling her duties on student government, she is reading, writing poetry, and funding her addictions to skincare, tea, candles, and all things food.