10 Unique Ways To Spice Up Your Secret Santa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Secret Santa is a great way to give while not breaking the budget. However, whether it’s with family or friends, the same Secret Santa exchange year after year can get to be a tad bit boring. Let’s face it: you can only get a candle every year for so long before you dread the whole thing. So why not spice it up this year? Grab your favourite people and try these new themes to spice up your Christmas gift exchange this year!

1. Wine

Everybody loves a good glass of wine, especially around the holidays! Put all your guests’ names in a hat and beside their name get them to write down their favourite style of wine. Draw names, and voila! You get not only a great bottle of wine to enjoy together for the night, but you can take it up a notch by pairing a decorative wine glass to go with it! Cheers!

2. Charitable Secret Santa

World Wildlife Foundation

The holiday season is the best season to give back! Each of you writes your name and your top three charities of choice, draw a name, and there you go! Instead of getting each other gifts, you are helping a cause close to the person’s heart. To add a little more, see if the charity has items that coincide with the charitable cause like a bracelet or stuffed animal that you get when you donate—that way your guest gets a gift, but also has still had a donation made on their behalf.

3. Book Exchange

This is the perfect exchange for the bookworm group of friends. Each buys the other a great book and pair it with a cute note about why this book suits its new owner. Add a cute bookmark to really send it over the top!

4. Caffeine

What’s better than a gift you can use every morning? This is the best gift exchange you can do for the coffee addicts in your life. Everybody gets a bag of their favourite coffee, along with a coffee mug they can use every morning!

5. Recipe Baskets

For the group that loves to cook, the recipe basket is the way to go. Each person writes down their name as well as any dietary restrictions (vegan, gluten-free etc.). Once you receive your candidate, find your favourite recipe that fits into their diet. Fill a basket with a recipe card and the ingredients to make the dish, wrap it up all nice, and there you have it—a yummy dish ready for you to make!

6. Game Night

Who doesn’t love a good game?Whether it’s for family or friends, there is a game that suits everyone! Each person buys a multiplayer game of some sort, brings it, exchanges it, unwraps it, and enjoys! Your Secret Santa just turned into games night—may the best player win!

7. Dirty Secret Santa

Let’s face it, we all love a good dirty gift. This exchange is for the group of gals who have been friends forever and have no boundaries anymore. Surprise each other with a new toy for the bedroom, whether it be for them and a partner or for some much needed alone time. Nobody will say no to a new vibrator or some good lube! Tie it together with a nice pair of panties or a sex position book. You will not only have a good giggle about what people receive but will get a new toy you can’t wait to test out!

8. Spa Day

With family gatherings, gifts to buy, and all the running around to get everywhere, the holidays can be stressful. Draw names and gift each other a lovely spa-themed gift. They can be small gifts for a DIY spa day at home or a gift certificate for a treatment at your local spa—either way, your guest is going to get pampered and who doesn’t want that?

9. Treats

Stay on budget AND help with holiday baking? HECK YES. Everybody makes four to six cookies for each guest and you leave with an abundance of sweets for the holiday—no extra baking for you!

10. DIY

To keep everyone’s wallet happy this holiday season, a DIY gift exchange is the way to go. Whether it’s putting together a hot chocolate mason jar or making your own candle, your thoughtfulness will not go unnoticed throughout the exchange.

So there you go lovelies, whether you are celebrating with your co-workers or best friends, these themes will make your gift exchange a little more interesting and spice up your holiday season! Cheers and Happy Holidays!