10 Tried and True Pubic Hairstyles

Illustrations by Coral White. Follow her/bother her on Instagram: @softestsoftjosh.

*Name has been changed to remain anonymous.

Pubic hair is a taboo topic. For some people, it's important to have complete confidence in your hair-down-there and knowing your partner won’t run for the hills when they see it. However, since pubic hair is rarely discussed, I only knew about my own preferences because I can’t exactly walk up to all varieties of women and go, “hey, what does your pubic hair look like?” Online, however, was a bit of a different story. I polled almost 300 Western women who are cisgendered, non-binary and transgender—and about two dozen Western men—about women’s pubic hairstyles. I wanted to get a full picture of the popularity of various pubic hairstyles among college students, and a full picture I got. So, here are 10 hairstyles for your downstairs ‘do to give a more varied selection than your classic bush v. Brazilian.

1. The Martini Glass

The Martini Glass is a Bermuda Triangle combined with a Landing Strip. While this wasn’t as popular of an option amongst the women, it’s really easy to shape and is just the thing to spice things up for a special night. Simply shave, trim, or wax the top and sides all the way down. You should naturally have a triangle shape, but now make it way smaller as you shave the bottom into a thin line, ending just before your clitoris. Adjust and reshape the top to make it look like a martini glass. This combo of two favourite styles is sure to turn heads and make your lover hella thirsty.

2. The Bermuda Triangle

This look is a common go-to for a lot of women: 10.6% of respondents rock this ‘do! Not only is it easy to shape and maintain, but it’s a common style at waxing salons, making it easy to get anywhere you go. The gist is that this triangle will keep your bikini line clean while your bathing suit or panties cover the mini bush below.

Fourth-year Michelle* hates shaving down there. “I really only trim things if I'm going to be wearing a bathing suit,” she says. While she usually rocks a Bush, the Bermuda Triangle could be a good idea for those situations; just trim the sides, grrl!

On top of that, 5.1% prefer this look on a partner. To get your own Bermuda Triangle, remove the hair on the top and sides, and emphasize the natural triangular curve of your mons pubis. Trim it as far down as you would like, leaving enough hair to make up your triangle. You can be sure your partner will get lost down there for days!

3. The Five O’Clock Shadow

The Five O’Clock Shadow is pretty much what it sounds like: stubble from the last time you shaved or trimmed. However, this style turns 16.7% of heads with its simplicity and non-itchiness; it’s easiest to just trim it down to avoid the itchiness of growing hair.

“If I could have an ingrown hair free vagina I’d do Brazilian, but I’m too lazy and it’s too uncomfortable,” said first-year Zoe.

9.6% of respondents prefer this look on their sexual partner, another reason being the hair doesn’t rub painfully during sex. Turns out, the Five O’Clock Shadow is just as sexy on a lady’s vajay as it is on a man’s face!

4. The Landing Strip

The Landing Strip, made popular by Playboy models who wore a lot of itty bitty undies, is a strip down the centre of your mons pubis. It’s sort of like a trail leading your partner down where you want them to be—like a lady’s happy trail. This look is rocked by a lot of pornstars and is favoured by 2.9% of women, so don’t worry about your partner loving this one: they will.

5. The Brazilian

The Brazilian means you go all bare, all over. From the belly button to the tip-top of that butt crack, there is not going to be a single hair in sight. This style is by far the most popular, with 43.1% of respondents rocking this smooth look.

For some women, having a Brazilian is more about feeling than look.

“I don't mind the look of ‘hair down there’ on me; I actually think it looks mature and sexy. That being said, I prefer the feeling of being hairless (especially waxed) because I sometimes find hair itchy or uncomfortable,” said fourth-year student Taylor.

However, there is a lot of pressure for women to be hairless, which causes many women to shave even if they don’t want to. It can be easy to forget that your pubic hair should look how you want it to look, not how your sexual partner demands.

6. The Silver Fox

Now, these silvery locks are a rare look among younger college students, but we can’t forget about our gorgeous mature students! Rather than shaving off or dyeing your greying or grey hairs, embrace the grey and know that you, too, can age with sexy grace—whoever said grey hair can is only sexy on men!?

7. The Bush

11.6% of respondents love their Bush and don’t want to go through the hassle of styling, so let their locks go au naturale. More power to you! The hair around your vagina is there for a reason, so leaving it where it is is likely the best idea when it comes to your health. Plus, you won’t have to deal with ingrown hairs, razor burn, or itchy regrowing hair. Who has time to shave, anyway? Embrace the jungle; there’s just so much more to explore!

8. The Punk Rocker

Ready for a real challenge? Have wild hair up top and want the curtains to match the drapes? Be super careful, but you can dye and style your hair to look how you want.

Third-year student Alexa* says she upkeeps her cooch by using “hair gel, mousse, shampoo, conditioner, and hair spray.” While this will give you a rocking down-there ‘do, make sure the products you select are safe to be so close to such a sensitive area.

Due to the upkeep and sensitive skin in that area, this style isn’t very popular, but could be a fun way to bring a little more colour to the bedroom!

9. The Postage Stamp

The Postage Stamp is a small, groomed square just above your clitoris—it’s the shape and size of a postage stamp, hence its name. This is a great way of keeping a tiny bit of hair so you aren’t totally bare, but also not having the hassle of working out a cool way to care for your pubic hair.

“I think it looks super cute,” says fourth-year Carrie*. “I like the look of having some hair, but not too much. At the same time, it isn’t too little. It’s a happy medium and isn’t just your basic Bermuda Triangle.”

To sculpt your own, simply remove the majority of the top and the sides and a tiny bit from the bottom, and you’re good to go!

10. The Arrow

Now, this one is fun! While it tells your lover exactly where they are meant to be going without the need for verbal cues (though, you know, consent is necessary to get first!), it’s unusual and always a surprise. It’s also easy to convert into a Postage Stamp or Landing Strip if you tire of it but don’t want to shave everything off.

Bonus: The Baby Braid

Okay, okay, the list couldn’t be complete without a TOTALLY POSSIBLE baby braid. This might take some practice, but people expressed a lot of interest in them. Let it grow, let it flow, then braid that bad boy up and put in a tiny hair elastic! Note: This will be easiest with the sides shaved!

When it comes to your pubic hair, though, don’t fret about what other people think: over 50% of people think that is totally your own business and have no preference. The most common request was that whatever style you go for, you keep it clean! Now that can’t be too hard, especially not with a wide range of gentle, fragrance-free or pH-balanced soaps to choose from.

No matter what you do down there, just remember to love your cute cooch! And when it comes to shapes, don’t limit yourself. From lighting bolts to diamonds, Western women are rocking all kinds of cool shapes down there, and you can too!