10 Reasons I’m Tired of Being Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

I am all for being independent and knowing how to find happiness on your own. However, it is not weak to want the intimacy and comfort of a relationship; it’s simply human. It takes nothing away from independence and self-esteem, instead, it’s knowing when you’re ready to share the great person that you are with someone equally as great. Yet wanting a relationship isn’t as simple as just finding one, especially if you’re not willing to settle. It’s a long and lengthy process and sometimes it feels like it just won’t happen.

So while I wait for that special someone, here are 10 reasons I’m tired of being single.

1. People asking me why I’m single

But you’re so pretty, why are you still single?” There is no answer to this question, so please don’t ask it. No, it’s not that my standards are too high. Yes, I’m putting myself out there. No, I’m not too picky. I know what I want, it just hasn’t come yet.

2. Seeing people around me that aren’t single

I have a love-hate relationship with cute couples. I might spend hours on Instagram stalking their pictures but there is a certain amount of PDA I can take in a day.

3. Third Wheeling

This is a quite frequent recurrence at my own house around my roommates. Do I want to go the kitchen where one couple is cooking a romantic dinner? Or do I want to sit in the living room while another couple is cuddling and watching a movie? Or would I rather sit in my room across from the third couple having a tickle fight? Decisions, decisions, decisions…

4. My mother warning me that I’m behind schedule

My mom met my dad at 21, was married by 24 and had me at 25. I am 21 right now, so you see the problem? According to her, the four years of university are the prime time to find a potential husband. This leads to every single one of my guy friends being the subject of an interrogation: “What does he study?” “What are his career goals?” “How many kids does he want?”

5. Friends telling me that it’ll come when I least expect it

Maybe it will, but I’m too impatient to just sit around and not do anything about it. Maybe I come off too strong and I’m too emotional, but that’s not going to change whether I’m expecting someone or not. There’ll be someone who likes all that, eventually.

6. Tinder

Ah, the romantic world of Tinder. I am beyond excited to finally delete my account and not cave back into getting it. I have already deleted at least five times and somehow gotten it back every time. It’s a vicious cycle really.

7. Having someone to cuddle with

Sometimes I am just in the mood to cuddle. Although my mom and best friend are great cuddlers, I want to be able to stay home with my guy and just be held and find happiness in that without having to go out. I would just adopt a puppy instead but my landlord doesn’t allow it.  

8. Having a place to wear my cute date outfit ideas

I wear all my cute clothes for myself, but there are a few outfits, like my red summer dress, that I just can’t help but think how perfect it would be for a date.

9. Expectations from Romantic Comedies

Yes I admit, I am a hopeless romantic. I want it all: the flowers, the chocolate, the good morning texts. I want what Sally had with Harry or what Carrie had with Mr. Big. Is that too much to ask?

10. Having someone to share all the little things with

Basically, I want someone to share all the things I already love with, to go on adventures with and to have for those little happy moments in life. Does that sound too much like a dating profile bio?

currently 4th year Honor Specialization in Media, Information and technoculture. Aspires to be a reporter and a singer while traveling the world.
Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.