10 Reasons “Chill With Bob Ross” Should Be Your Study Break Go-To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

If you have yet to see “Chill With Bob Ross,” you’ve probably been living a life of crushing, crippling stress. With exams in full swing, de-stressing is absolutely essential; how are you supposed to slay these exams when you’re full of caffeine, haven’t slept in weeks, and are buzzing with high self expectation? Don’t worry, Netflix knew this was coming so it finally added this wonderful show to its growing collection. With these short, study-break-length episodes, you’ll be ready to come back and hit the books with a sort of zen that can only be achieved by watching Bob Ross paint and play with squirrels.

1. He makes nature scenes look incredibly simple to paint, and just watching him work is soothing. You’ll end up a little bit more inspired than before and convince yourself that painting must really be that easy so if you fail your exam you can drop out of school and become a landscape painter (it’s not, though, so don’t do this).

2. When he explains what he’s painting and why, you’ll be filled with the strangest sort of joy which you won’t know how to explain.

3. He takes pleasure from the smallest things, and shows you that happiness is largely dependent on your mindset. You don’t need it all to have a good time, and sometimes all you need is a paintbrush and an idea.

4. He constantly reminds you that you are on your own journey through life, and to surround yourself by things that make you happy. No one can set your path for you; this is your life and you choose what you do with it.

5. He reminds you that mistakes will happen, but don’t have to be a bad thing; rather, they are just “happy accidents” that encourage you to use your creativity.

6. He is endlessly wise, and believes in you even when you don’t (which is common during this time of year). With hard work and dedication, you can overcome whatever life throws at you, and achieve your goals.

7. He creates random little backstories for what he’s painting, and you’ll laugh but also be majorly into it.

8. He really does love squirrels, and it’s way more soothing to see him chill with them than you’d expect.

9. He believes in you, even when you don’t believe in yourself.

10. All around, Bob Ross is the most quotable gentleman out there.

Becca Serena wrote for Her Campus Western (Ontario) from 2015-2018. Beginning as a general writer, she made her way to Social Media Manager in 2016 and became a Chapter Advisor of five chapters from January to April of 2017. She serves as Editor-in-Chief and Co-Campus Correspondent for the 2017-2018 term. This venue saw Serena’s passion for writing brave and controversial pieces grow as her dedication to feminism strengthened.
This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western.