10 Rad-tastic Vancouver Island Area Hikes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

It’s no secret that moving to London, Ontario is a tough transition from the west coast. As a native of Victoria, B.C., I find living in this industrial city a bit tiresome at times as there are far fewer “scenic vistas” and the list of beautiful, natural scenery is limited in comparison to B.C. However, the lively, wonderful people that inhabit London make me forget the lack of beaches, particularly when in a state of blissful inebriation.  Fortunately, I have been lucky enough to explore some wonderful hikes around Vancouver Island and would love to share with you how delightful British Columbia is. Whether it is a lovely day hike, or a week long excursion, there is definitely something that will tickle your toenails.

1. West Coast Trail

Full of unreal views, the trail slinks deliciously along the ocean with outrageous seaside vistas, exciting steep ladders to scamper up and some of the most incredible campsites nestled between waterfalls. Located on the west coast of Vancouver Island, hikers from all over the world come to see this beauty (you’re sure to run into a strapping German man on this one). This hike is comfortably done in about six  days. You know it’s a keeper as it is ranked among the 50 best hikes in the world by Explore magazine.

2. Golden Hinde

The tallest mountain to climb on Vancouver Island. This hike is a pretty tricky summit, as it is easy to get lost by the loosely marked trail. With an elevation of 2197 meters, Golden Hinde is known to be one of the best alpine mountaineering adventures on Vancouver Island.

3. Nootka Island Trail

Nootka is incredible, although the catch is that it’s quite hard to get to. You either have to hire a plane to take you into the very rural island off the west coast of Vancouver Island, or get a boat, that runs quite infrequently. However, once you arrive it is stunning, and so worth the challenge of finding it! Similar to the west coast trail, this hike snakes alongside the ocean with much of the “trail” being endless stretches of beautiful beaches. The sections of the trail that delve into the highlands are very challenging, and involve climbing over massive fallen trees, and ploughing your way through spiky bushes. I would recommend taking five days to complete the trail, so that you can enjoy the peaceful tranquility of it.

4. Juan De Fuca Marine Trail

The mere convenience of this trail makes it very popular for islanders. I often recommend this as a beginner backpacking hike for those living in the Victoria/Vancouver Island area. It is about a two hour drive from Victoria, very well marked, and reasonably easy – despite a small section of hilliness between Bear and Chin beach. Most hikers take about three days, and I find this to be an excellent weekend hike.

5. Cape Scott

A splendid two or more day hike, Cape Scott is perfect for a weekend trip up Northern Vancouver Island. The fairly flat hike in takes 18km, but you arrive at the most picturesque beach. The trail is accessible year round and is excellent for storm watching in the winter months. There are old settlements as you hike through and can find some interesting historical tidbits along the way.

6. Mt. Arrowsmith

Located close to Port Alberni, you can find some of the most beautiful Alpine hiking on Vancouver Island here. This is a very good day hike or perfect for outdoor some rock climbing. The views of Port Alberni area and the wonderful alpine flowers are really unique to this trail.

7. Strathcona, Forbidden Plateau

Forbidden Plateau is good for the kids or beginners. The hike into Circlet lake isn’t too intense and is ideal to set up camp on some platforms. Once you set up camp you can get fresh water from the lake and have a good sleep,, summit the next day, and hike out the following. The trail is well marked, not too challenging and all around beautiful!

8. The Black Tusk

You can’t go wrong with any hike around Garibaldi lake. Everywhere you look has stunning views of the clearest blue lake you’ll ever see. Unfortunately, if you’re looking for solitude this isn’t your spot; recently the Garibaldi area has become super popular with girls wanting to up their Instagram game, particularly on a weekend. However, if you don’t mind having a party on the mountain, this is an incredible hike. I found it to be really tough as a day hike (30km with a pretty steep elevation gain), so I would definitely recommend doing it in two days with some beers.

9. Stawamus Chief

You’ll find this impressive bad boy in the Squamish valley. An adorable little town full of delightful people (make a stop at Bean Around the World if you need a good cup of coffee, or Howe Sound Brewery for some craft ales with an unreal view of the Chief). Squamish, being the adventure capital of Canada, and close to Whistler, is a perfect stop for adventurers. The Chief is popular for both rock climbing and hiking. It’s an awesome day hike; that takes about five to six  hours to go up and down.

10. The North Coast Trail

You have to be an absolute badass to do this one! It was only made a trail in 2008, and it is insanely rugged. The new “trail” is 61 km and is quite the doozy, although the views make it worth it. If you start from the Cape Scott parking lot instead, you can hike into it as long as you desire without making the commitment of doing the whole trail.

This is the contributor account for Her Campus Western. 
Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader.